Like Tree18Likes

US ranked as world's worst peacemaker (China 3rd)

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I was confused by your "as I predicted". When and where did you predict this?
    Are you in geoexpat 24/7? Do you realize you consistently respond within minutes of my posts?

Even at 4-5am Hong Kong time it's the same. You certainly have a fairly messed up sleep time as with I, but I don't go refreshing my browser every few minutes or 'hang out' in geoexpat.

The grass is greener on the other side is an idea prevalent among European and Asian countries. It's countries that can accurately see US for what it is who will not have that view.

It's the ability to sense the pulse. You live in the Philippines, so whenever that country does something, you may develop a sense of what it's doing even without its source explicitly stating every little bit of detail.

My claim is, that Canadian and Australian are able to sense the pulse of the United States.
    Last edited by Creative83; 13-01-2014 at 01:56 AM.

ouwen
    Quote Originally Posted by packy_crusher:
    If you live in a country where all media is dominated by state owned censored media, censored internet access, and a one party system that dominates all aspects of your life, including the books you are allowed to read and subjects taught in school.....what is the point of a survey? If the government is successful, are you not getting the government's opinion? Would a survey on anything work in North Korea? Why is China any different?

I think the same questions were posed to all the surveyed in all the countries surveyed. So the opinion of China is not the opinion of people living in China.

WIN/Gallup international survey asked more than 65,000 people worldwide
    Not to mention that Gallup is not a Chinese company.
    Last edited by ouwen; 13-01-2014 at 03:57 AM.

ouwen
    Quote Originally Posted by Creative83:
    Are you in geoexpat 24/7? Do you realize you consistently respond within minutes of my posts?

Even at 4-5am Hong Kong time it's the same. You certainly have a fairly messed up sleep time as with I, but I don't go refreshing my browser every few minutes or 'hang out' in geoexpat.

It's called "lurking". It is the internet equivalent of "stalking", which is a mental illness that is also a criminal activity at extreme levels...........
    Last edited by ouwen; 13-01-2014 at 03:55 AM.

Yes, I accept that some Mainlanders see through the clouds, but the overwhelming majority do not. I have had discussions with Chinese PhD's who say the strangest things, which makes me question their independent thought.

Still most Mainlanders do not know where their opinions come from and typically accuse the Dalai Lama of being a splitist tyrant, speak very nationalistically of China's recent attempts at territorial acquisitions, vehemently hate Japan (but love their products), are certain Taiwan is part of China and can never be allowed to be independent and blame the U.S. and Britain for just about all the worlds woes.

Think about it....how does one formulate an opinion over time? Well, it has to do with the way you were raised, your parents attitudes and knowledge, what you were taught in school, the books and media you read or watched, what you might have researched or studied at University, television, your personal experiences, what you can read on the Internet, etc.....these are all controlled by the Party in China. They have your opinion all locked up. That is the point of censorship - so that you don't start developing opinions and ideas that run counter to the Party's policies and even existence. All I am saying is that in this context, survey's seem to have little value.

Not to mention that Gallup is not a Chinese company.[/QUOTE]

I got that, but if Gallop asks Chinese, North Koreans, Vietnamese, etc, the answers are skewed toward what the government wants them to say. it does not mater who does the asking. Furthermore,do you think gallop can start randomly calling people or asking people on street corners or would you think its much more controlled in such countries?

Anyway, I was talking about such surveys in general....

ouwen
    Quote Originally Posted by packy_crusher:
    Not to mention that Gallup is not a Chinese company.

I got that, but if Gallop asks Chinese, North Koreans, Vietnamese, etc, the answers are skewed toward what the government wants them to say. it does not mater who does the asking. Furthermore,do you think gallop can start randomly calling people or asking people on street corners or would you think its much more controlled in such countries?

Anyway, I was talking about such surveys in general....

I don't dispute your assessment of how and why Chinese people respond to polls. Central governments in all countries operate the same way. The citizens of any country that has an advanced PR industry are indoctrinated in nationalism. Central governments spare no effort to insure their own continued existence and power. Skewed or indoctrinated opinion is still an opinion.

Opinion is what people believe is reality, which may or may not match true reality.

Gallup is the world leading expert in opinion polls, and widely accepted as accurate in their work.

From the Gallup website:

For more than 60 years WIN/Gallup International Members have demonstrated their expert ability to conduct multi-country surveys on a comparable basis and deliver the highest quality. Our Members are leading national institutes with a profound local knowledge of research methods and techniques, statistical sources, customs and culture differences of its own country and carefully selected by the Association Board. With only one Member agency per country, Members work together on a daily basis to share knowledge, new research techniques and tools, as well as to provide the most appropriate solutions to international research projects and service our clients to the best of our abilities.

The accumulated expertise of the Association is formidable - we have internationally renowned experts in public opinion, Third World issues, advertising, and media research as well as in commercial fields such as IT/telecommunications, healthcare, retail, economics, corporate research and so on. Our Members are at the leading edge of technical and methodological developments, which have impacted on not only the research industry but also the whole commercial world.
    Last edited by ouwen; 13-01-2014 at 08:45 AM.

Even at 4-5am Hong Kong time it's the same. You certainly have a fairly messed up sleep time as with I, but I don't go refreshing my browser every few minutes or 'hang out' in geoexpat.......You live in the Philippines, so whenever that country does something, you may develop a sense of what it's doing even without its source explicitly stating every little bit of detail.

Hullexile lives in the UK so given the 8+ hour time difference, it makes perfect sense for him to respond at 4-5am HK time.
    Watercooler likes this.

The grass is greener on the other side is an idea prevalent among European and Asian countries. It's countries that can accurately see US for what it is who will not have that view.

It's the ability to sense the pulse. You live in the Philippines, so whenever that country does something, you may develop a sense of what it's doing even without its source explicitly stating every little bit of detail.

My claim is, that Canadian and Australian are able to sense the pulse of the United States.
    Whoa, did Hull hurl some nasty insults at you before? He was asking a perfectly normal question, I don't think it warrants this kind of response...
    bibbju likes this.

ouwen
    Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    Hullexile lives in the UK so given the 8+ hour time difference, it makes perfect sense for him to respond at 4-5am HK time.
    Where in the Phillipines is UK located? Is that a suburb of Manila?

Last edited by ouwen; 13-01-2014 at 01:14 PM.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by ouwen:
    Where in the Phillipines is UK located? Is that a suburb of Manila?
    If you don't know where a poster currently lives, perhaps it's best to keep quiet.