Faked TV fireworks sequences during the opening ceremony

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth:
    How many false starts are there in swimming?
    There are a few - remember that a false start (actually early start by teammate at the changeover) cost Michael Phelps a relay win in the last world championships.
    Notably in swimming as in running (at least in the sprints), the decision whether a start is false/early is these days made based on electronic measurements, not on human observations.

Wow someone actually watched dressage!!! I'd rather watch paint dry. I couldn't believe it when they interrupted the Li-Williams tennis match for dressage last night... I doubt they got a spike in ratings with that.

Not so keen on dressage, but we actually paid money (and drove for 8 hours) to go and see the show jumping at the 2000 Olympics in Sydney. It was fantastic! I think the horsey events are some of the best in the Olympics.

And the latest controversy surrounding the Opening Ceremony:
    Officials: Dancer paralyzed -- chicagotribune.com

"After downplaying the incident, Beijing's Olympic organizers acknowledged Thursday that a dancer was paralyzed after a platform collapsed during rehearsals for the Opening Ceremony."

... and still more stories.....

Minority ethnic groups used in Games' opening were fake - The Irish Times - Sat, Aug 16, 2008

"FAKE FIREWORKS, fake singers and now fake ethnic minorities. Beijing Olympics organisers have admitted that children from China's dominant Han population were used in the opening ceremony last week, not youngsters from all 56 ethnic groups as previously claimed."

It was interesting that the report I read in the SCMP yesterday indicated that the Chinese do not understand why others think this is an issue - that "fake" stuff is so prevalent that it is considered normal! I was wondering why that was.

seriously who cares......

yup, it's just a show...

If it were "just a show" I might agree. But the olympics should stand for more than "just a show" - it should mean something. I believe it used to. Not sure if it still does! As I watch the people winning medals, it certainly means something to them. But does the "olympic ideal or olympic spirit" still exist? Faking does not fit at all with that. I can live with the fireworks, but the little girl who was not pretty enough really pissed me off.

Very idealistic but you can never put the genie back in the bottle...

How much are Phelps gold medal worth? Why is there so much doping?

Less than 10 seconds of running and how long of preening afterwards for Bolt?

It's a show and it comes every four years... have to enjoy it for what it is and not think too much...