Your allowed to Protest here...but you'l still be arrested..

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth:
    Right!
    I think China just told the IOC what they wanted to hear in order to get the games with no intention of ever following through on the more difficult parts.
    I suspect so. It would be interesting if the IOC came out at the end of it all and read out all the 'promises' china made to be awarded the games and how many were actually carried out etc...

lets hope FIFA don't get any silly ideas with the World Cup...can you imagine the world's football fans decending on Beijing...

Broken promises by politicians??? Well that's unheard of!

Quote Originally Posted by DanielandHayley:
    the 'news' and the point being highlighted is not about whether china has free speech or not, or whether it is merely providing security...it is about the fact that they set up designated 'controlled areas' so as to be able to ensure security etc, giving the impression that if people wish to vent their frustrations, have their voices heard that they can do so, but only within these areas - fair enough ( I suppose). But they are instead rounding up anybody who even asks permission and detaining them...

if they didn't want any protests at all why set up the areas in the first place???
    Had you leave longer in China, you would not be surprised.

The Olympic Committee wanted some guarantees prior to awarding the games, the chinese gvt gave them (no harm ir saying, yes we will do what you guys want) and did differently afterwards....that the media are shocked (or pretend to be) kinda of make me laugh...

China wanted to do it its own way and is now doing it. Nothing more to say.

It is the big coming out party for the country and they certainly would not let the media/western countries tell them what to do and how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Had you leave longer in China, you would not be surprised.

It is the big coming out party for the country and they certainly would not let the media/western countries tell them what to do and how to do it.

I am not even remotely suprised.

Well if the aim of their 'coming out party' was to stick 2 fingers up to the world, then that has been acheived I guess - mind you, that was the impression they gave before 'coming out' anyway. As you said, they see it as their party.

if they didn't want any protests at all why set up the areas in the first place???
    Because if they didn't, people like you would be climbing flagpoles and making it hard for the rest of us who just want to see some athletes compete for something they've worked for years to get.

Seriously, at this point, the anti-China people are getting on my nerves even more than the Chinese government, and that's hard to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Krad:
    Because if they didn't, people like you would be climbing flagpoles and making it hard for the rest of us who just want to see some athletes compete for something they've worked for years to get.

Seriously, at this point, the anti-China people are getting on my nerves even more than the Chinese government, and that's hard to do.
    why is this point so difficult for people to get? - the area was created, supposidly, to allow people to protest, and then when people do so, or even think about it, they get arrested... entrapment? honey trap of types?!

why is this point so difficult for people to get? - the area was created, supposidly, to allow people to protest, and then when people do so, or even think about it, they get arrested... entrapment? honey trap of types?!
    Because one has to be VERY naive to think that the chinese gvt will allow protests during the biggest sporting event on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Because one has to be VERY naive to think that the chinese gvt will allow protests during the biggest sporting event on earth.
    so why pretend? They come out and say that no protests or such like will be tolerated full stop, then the rest of the world is pissed off a bit but not really suprised, but to say, ok we'l allow certain protests etc but only in controlled zones, the world is still going to criticise but is somewhat suprised at such concessions and thinks, well ok maybe they are trying at least...and then to go and arrest everyone in these areas, the rest of the world reverts back to its original views etc

Tibet protesters arrested in Beijing - MSN News UK - news & weather

...there not making it any easier for themselves to be fair

so why pretend?

because if they did not, the games would not have been awarded to them

What most people care about is not some stupid protest zone or whether someone can wave a Tibet flag.

What matters is that it's a good show, that what the people are watching is athletes breaking records and getting medals, that everything is running smoothly.

In that regards, these are good Olympics and to me that's all that matters. China isn't sticking it to the world, they're simply putting on a good show and frankly nitpicking about other things is quite obviously more about politics or one's feeling about China than about the games themselves.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast