The US Olympic medal table

Reply
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast
  1. #11

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wanchai, HK
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I don't really care about the US-China battle but this new 'US' system puts the Aussies above us Brits and we get so few opportunities to gloat over them about sport that we are not going to be cheated of this one
    Hmmm - according to the BBC medal table, Team GB have more medals overall than Australia, but fewer than Russia. They also count golds, which conveniently places GB in third. As a keen (rather than talented) sportsman I've no problem with funded sports programs. (Talking from a UK perspective here) Considering the vast amounts spent elsewhere sports still receive a comparatively small amount of 'taxpayers' money. Considerably less than the 'arts'. Most of the taxpayer money actually comes from the stupid person's tax anyway...

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Clearwater Bay Road
    Posts
    5,659

    I always wondered how many teams actually participate in Winter Olympics?


  3. #13

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    27,123
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnye:
    Hmmm - according to the BBC medal table, Team GB have more medals overall than Australia, but fewer than Russia. They also count golds, which conveniently places GB in third. As a keen (rather than talented) sportsman I've no problem with funded sports programs. (Talking from a UK perspective here) Considering the vast amounts spent elsewhere sports still receive a comparatively small amount of 'taxpayers' money. Considerably less than the 'arts'. Most of the taxpayer money actually comes from the stupid person's tax anyway...
    Ah must have changed since I last looked - good news that means we're beating them twice, once on each table!

    Funding elite athletes who then achieve success encourages youngsters to get into sport so is worthwhile on that basis alone IMO. Anyway my University receives quite a bit of sports funding as probably the top UK Uni for sports (and no that's not Loughborough) so it helps keep me in a job indirectly.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wanchai, HK
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Anyway my University receives quite a bit of sports funding as probably the top UK Uni for sports (and no that's not Loughborough) so it helps keep me in a job indirectly.
    Bath? (waffle to increase beyond 10 characters...) Thank god it's not Lu'bru
    Last edited by jonnye; 21-08-2008 at 03:26 PM. Reason: had to add the anti-Luffbra bit

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Park Island
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Ah must have changed since I last looked - good news that means we're beating them twice, once on each table!

    Funding elite athletes who then achieve success encourages youngsters to get into sport so is worthwhile on that basis alone IMO. Anyway my University receives quite a bit of sports funding as probably the top UK Uni for sports (and no that's not Loughborough) so it helps keep me in a job indirectly.
    I echo that...I would rather see money pumped into sports (at all levels) where required than into other complete wastes of money that governments like to pour cash into...

  6. #16

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    27,123
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnye:
    Bath? (waffle to increase beyond 10 characters...) Thank god it's not Lu'bru
    Nope.........

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Park Island
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Nope.........
    Cardiff? ....

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,419
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    I always wondered how many teams actually participate in Winter Olympics?
    2006 Winter Olympics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  9. #19

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    27,123
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielandHayley:
    Cardiff? ....
    Give up. Leeds Met, though for sports they are usually known as Carnegie. Tend to win most of the Uni sports competitions now.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Fo Tan
    Posts
    2,389
    Quote Originally Posted by timklip:
    I wish that were true...A thankfully little known fact is that Canada (Montreal '76 and Calgary '88) is the only host country to win NO Gold medals...as we are perennial (or in this case quadrennial) underachievers at the Oly's.

    BUT... I take exception to your comment about US ice hockey, since we (Canada) won Gold in Salt Lake '02 hockey (men and women)...it seems many Americans still cling desperately to the "Miracle on Ice' of Lake Placid...in reality, US has won 2 hockey golds in the 4 times it has hosted

    We saw Canada win gold last night, so maybe you should give up hosting. Except you have the Vancouver addition coming up.
    I forgot about Salt Lake, but do remember the Miracle on Ice. But 2 golds hosting has to be better than all the non-hosting games.

    As for the funding of elite athletes, how about governments get out of the elite business and just put the money into children's sports? If all the governments did this (pipedream), you would still have Olympic heroes a to inspire the kids and you would have a lot of funding for the kids to use once they became inspired.
    Last edited by Sleuth; 22-08-2008 at 09:57 AM. Reason: added the funding opinion

Reply
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast