The US Olympic medal table

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Well, granted I did have some of the facts wrong, 28 years does dull the memory...

Still the US did win the gold medal while the PR did what exactly?

And comparing the legendary team that Russia had with the bunch of youngsters that the US team had in Athens is a testament to your knowledge(or lack of) of ice hockey...

Let's see how history agrees with you and we'll wait for the PR movie of that remarkable game that no doubt is shown on all the highlights of the Athens Olympics!!!

And if you want to call the swedes, the fins, the czechs and every other country that enjoys ice hockey nobodies...well that's your enlightened prerogative...

Ohh and Sports illustrated voted this one the greatest sports moment in history but hey they're all americans so it doesn't count right?

Perhaps you'd prefer the Roger Bannister& John Landy race in vancouver? Oh that was in North America so I guess it doesn't count either

Quote Originally Posted by aussiegal:
    Never heard of it. Now I would say one of the greatest sporting moments would have been this year's Wimbledon final, Nadal vs Federer. But as others have pointed out, it's all a matter of perspective, we will never reach agreement on the biggest sporting moment. For many Aussies Cathy Freeman winning gold at the Sydney Olympics would be a stand out moment.
    It's clearly Hull City being promoted to the Premier League last year after being bankrupt close to being made an amateur team 5 years ago - but then I could be biased.

Quote Originally Posted by aussiegal:
    Nthis year's Wimbledon final, Nadal vs Federer.
    Absolutely amazing match, no surprise there but they redefined the meaning of true grit. Hope we get to see many more like this...

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    It's clearly Hull City being promoted to the Premier League last year after being bankrupt close to being made an amateur team 5 years ago - but then I could be biased.
    What the heck is Hull city? No one in North America would have a clue of what you're talking about

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    So it IS about winning the gold then, not the story behind it?

No it's all a part of the story with a beautiful ending. It would still have been incredible without it but that was the cherry on top.

You seem to think that I believe winning isn't important. You need to read up on double goal coaching...

What the heck is Hull city? No one in North America would have a clue of what you're talking about
    Indeed, but will now be watched by hundreds of millions of people worldwide unlike ice hockey which is a minority sport in comparison

You seem to think that I believe winning isn't important. You need to read up on double goal coaching...
    No my point was that you wrote off the other story because they hadn't won gold which is not in line with your other comments.

Anyway, what I will be curious to see is what the Americans do after these games. Surely they will up the budget in an effort to regain number one status - (assuming they come second on number of Golds). Hell, they'll probably hire the chinese coaches that took China to the top, though I'm sure many were American imports chasing the dollars to begin with.

Well, granted I did have some of the facts wrong, 28 years does dull the memory...

And comparing the legendary team that Russia had with the bunch of youngsters that the US team had in Athens is a testament to your knowledge(or lack of) of ice hockey...

Let's see how history agrees with you and we'll wait for the PR movie of that remarkable game that no doubt is shown on all the highlights of the Athens Olympics!!!

And if you want to call the swedes, the fins, the czechs and every other country that enjoys ice hockey nobodies...well that's your enlightened prerogative...

Ohh and Sports illustrated voted this one the greatest sports moment in history but hey they're all americans so it doesn't count right?

Perhaps you'd prefer the Roger Bannister& John Landy race in vancouver? Oh that was in North America so I guess it doesn't count either
    1. Maybe you should ask a Puerto Rican that questions...keep on verifying my point!

2. Tim Duncan and Iverson were late into thier careers, along with others, and the youngest players are often the better ones in the NBA...

3. Because it happened TO an American team, it will NEVER be immortalized on film...keep on verifying my point...

4. Never said they're nobodies, but I seriously doubt they care or consider as you do the importance of that game, but by all means, I'd love to hear form anyone from Scandinavia on the subject

5. Yes, that's about right..keep verifying my point

6. Unlike you, I wouldn't limit myself to N/A/ only sports...

Go

Hahaha Do you know who Bannister and Landy are?

You're not seriously arguing that the Athens team was anything like the 1988 team I hope... If there ever was a dream team, that was it.

The other factor is that Olympic basketball isn't the NBA just like Olympic Hockey isn't the NHL...

Seriously, you think Hull is a huge draw? I'll concede that it might be watched by more people if they happen to be playing Chelsea or Man U!

As for coaches, the US women volleyball team is coached by a chinese... I didn't write off the other story because they hadn't won gold, they finished 6th with a losing record and they won the first game of the preliminary round which didn't mean a lot... It was a great victory for them but not on the same scale as a team who beat legends of the sports and went on to win gold...

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast