The US Olympic medal table

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

We probably won't have to concern ourselves over medal tables for London 2012. The "no winners - no losers" concept introduced in to school sports will be extended to the Olympics; all competitors will receive "Attendance Medals". Also competitors won't actually be allowed to compete because none of the sports will pass Health & Safety's risk assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    I don't really see anything wrong with having national, regional, local pride... As long as it isn't taken to extremes and used politically.
    Because that never happens

Nazi Germany
    USSR
    USA
    China

Personally, I've never really felt the country pride thing, I could compete for one country or the next and it wouldn't ruffle me one bit and I've always traded all my gear for others but I can see how other people feel differently.
    Google: Becky Hammon

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    We probably won't have to concern ourselves over medal tables for London 2012. The "no winners - no losers" concept introduced in to school sports will be extended to the Olympics; all competitors will receive "Attendance Medals". Also competitors won't actually be allowed to compete because none of the sports will pass Health & Safety's risk assessment.
    That's too close to reality to be funny.....!!!

The Young European Federalists (EU-funded Brussels-based organisation) says a single European team would lead the medals table
    That is not very true, cos if they had only 1 european team they would not have been able for example to win 3 medals in Handball....it would have been only 1...and the list goes on...just adding the medals won by each european countries and get the total to claim that a unified europe would have gotten more medal is just silly...

[QUOTE=climber07;241423]Because that never happens

Nazi Germany
    USSR
    USA
    China

Just because some countries have and are playing politics doesn't mean that national pride has to be bad...

In any case, whatever you argue is irrelevant because it's not something you can make go away. Many people like to belong to a group... They paint themselves in the colors of their teams whether it's school, region, cities, countries.

Many athletes enjoy the feeling of being part of a team as opposed to being an individual competing for a title. The Davis Cup and the Ryder Cup are example of this.

Anyway, frankly speaking, I don't see a lot of negatives these days with countries trumpeting the superiority of their poitical systems because they did well at the Olympics.

In any case, whatever you argue is irrelevant because it's not something you can make go away. Many people like to belong to a group... They paint themselves in the colors of their teams whether it's school, region, cities, countries.

Many athletes enjoy the feeling of being part of a team as opposed to being an individual competing for a title. The Davis Cup and the Ryder Cup are example of this.
    woops, sorry! I want to apologize for my "irrelevant" argument, as clearly unlike yourself I do not poses omniscience nor ever appeal to tradition. My bad...

Believe it or not the "all self-esteem, all the time" camp in the US is starting to be discredited. Now that they have some products of the theory to look at, they are analysing the results and the reviews I have read are negative.
    From personal experience with the self-esteem kids in sports, they all think they are the world's greatest at every little thing they do and do not need to do any hard work to get that title. They now expect to be awarded for everything, no matter how small.

Ideologically, this type of thinking isn't all that far from communism when you think about it. Most people need motivation and there's pride taken in accomplishment and being better at something than the next person.

If one thinks that people will push themselves to their maximum just for the sake of it, they are delusional. Some may be abloe to do this but not a population on any kind of scale. Most people need incentive, whether it's fame, money or power...

That being said, it's also responsible to promote other values beside beating the other guy/team. That's why I am a great fan of the positive coaching alliance/double goal coaching. It promotes winning but in a positive environment.

Ideologically, this type of thinking isn't all that far from communism when you think about it. Most people need motivation and there's pride taken in accomplishment and being better at something than the next person.

If one thinks that people will push themselves to their maximum just for the sake of it, they are delusional. Some may be abloe to do this but not a population on any kind of scale. Most people need incentive, whether it's fame, money or power...

That being said, it's also responsible to promote other values beside beating the other guy/team. That's why I am a great fan of the positive coaching alliance/double goal coaching. It promotes winning but in a positive environment.
    Exactly right. You have a better sense of "pride" if you win--or lose and do well, for that matter--something that is meaningful. If everyone gets a win/medal, why bother?
    This could bring me back to the Bill Clinton policy of everyone in the armed forces gets an "elite" black beret, but I'll let that one lie in the gutter.
    And you do need some other goals, because hardly anyone wins every time. If you don't have them and lose a lot, whatever it is you are doing becomes depressing. But I do believe that one of the goals should be to win.

That being said, it's also responsible to promote other values beside beating the other guy/team.
    Are you talking purely about sports?

Just want to check. If so, fair enough.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast