The US Olympic medal table

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    The Young European Federalists (EU-funded Brussels-based organisation) says a single European team would lead the medals table and help people to feel more like European citizens.
    Bleh - how horrible. And what an appalling sounding organisation the Young European Federalists sounds... The only (major) sporting event I can think of that has a European representative supported is the Ryder Cup (and Walker and Solheim Cups too). And let's face it, that's a chance for Europeans to engage in their favourite sport of America-bashing. The distraction of 24 men whacking small balls with sticks is a bit irrelevant to some/most of them...

Besides, who wants an all-Europe team for sports. Where would I get the enjoyment of beating England at football next time? The next Euro Championships would be a rather drab affair too... Of course, maybe as the dominant European state, Team GB could offer places to other states to join

Whilst on silly subjects, another (earlier in the Games) alternative medal table can be found here:
    Blaney's Blarney: The real Olympic medals table

Quote Originally Posted by climber07:
    Actually it's pretty funny (or rather sad), I found a Medal Table from "USA Today" from Athens and now from Beijing...they did indeed flip the medal table from Gold priority to Total priority:

Medal Winners - 2008 Beijing Summer Olympics - USATODAY.com

USATODAY.com - USATODAY.com - Olympic sports coverage

Having said that, saying US is the only one that make themselfes look better is like saying the Chinese gymnasts are 16
    Um, not sure where you're seeing that USA Today flipped the medal priorities around. The US leads both tables in terms of total medals for both Olympics you mention. It may seem a little silly to do it that way, but the US has ALWAYS ranked the Olympics in terms of total medals won (it wasn't really controversial since the US was usually winning the most gold medals). It's a little disingenuous, therefore, for people to suggest that the US is being a bad sport for continuing to rank by total medals won when they've been overtaken by China in the gold total.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

In the links supplied by climber, Athens (2nd link) is ranked by the first column (gold) and Beijing by the fourth column (total). Perhaps frogman could read further down than the first row...

oops, you're right... It's all USA Today's fault...and my short attention span. It is true though that the normal practice in the US has been to rank in terms of total.

Quote Originally Posted by frogman:
    It is true though that the normal practice in the US has been to rank in terms of total.
    ... unless it doesn't have the most in total, but the most in gold...

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    ... unless it doesn't have the most in total, but the most in gold...
    maybe... I'm not sure that's ever happened though...

Tokyo... .........

Actually, it's been reported that NBC presented the medal table in Athens the same way as most of the world does which is by the number of gold medals.

I'm sorry to say that there is no way to hide on this issue. Americans are trying to spin this their way...

There is no doubt that China is the big winner of these Olympics and there's nothing the US can do about it... Even if you were to assign points to medals, China is still the winner. The classy thing to do is to acknowledge it and live to fight another day.

That being said, the ultimate star of these Olympic is an american

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    That being said, the ultimate star of these Olympic is an american
    I thought Usain Bolt was Jamaican.

I'm sure if Bolt entered the 100 metres, the 115 metres, the 125 metre freestyle, the 157 metre one-legged-hop, the 82 metre shake-it-like-ya-mean it, the 10 metre boogaloo and the 90 metre grab-ass he'd probably have broken the individual medal total like Phelps. Not his fault there's only one style of running.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast