China Milk Scandal, Mothers to blame?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thumbs down China Milk Scandal, Mothers to blame?

WHO Director-General Margaret Chan said in an interview in Manila yesterday, ''I don't know why young women these days don't breastfeed,'' Chan said in an interview yesterday in Manila. ``We need to try our very best to tell them the difference. Of course breastfeeding is the best food for babies.'' Article

This is an unnecessary guilt trip on mothers.

Did she consider that the following points:
    - There have not been scientifically proven benefits of breastfeeding for period under 6 months;
    - 'Young women these days' have to juggle work, family and sanity;
    - Some mothers do not produce sufficient breast milk and have to rely on formula milk as supplement;
    - Consumers trust their government and relevant health authorities in the safety and integrity of the food products sold publicly.

She is fully entitled to her personal view on breastfeeding. But I think it's inappropriate for her to voice her personal views in a public forum, as a representative of WHO. I am not a mother myself, but was appalled by the insensitivity of her remarks as a public figure. In these stressful times, I am sure the mothers of the affected children are traumatised enough. Such insensitive remarks are totally uncalled for.

Anyone who honestly believes that feeding babies reconstituted powdered cows' milk with who knows what added to it could possibly be better for babies that a good suck on their mother's tit really isn't fit to breed in my view.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Anyone who honestly believes that feeding babies reconstituted powdered cows' milk with who knows what added to it could possibly be better for babies that a good suck on their mother's tit really isn't fit to breed in my view.

You're just begging for another red dot, aren't you... Let us know how long it takes.

I see Margaret Chan's school of thought has a following.

Sorry, couldn't disagree more. I think you have misunderstood the interview. It was not her personal views, she is speaking as the Director-General of WHO, and I don't see her replies as insensitive.

It is a very real problem that the WHO is trying to address. In many developing countries, babies are not getting the nutrients they need because formula milk is being used excessively. This may be because mothers see it as an easier way or because they believe the "hype" that formula milk companies spew out. On top of this, babies are subjected to higher rates of infection because they bottles that are being used are not being disinfected correctly.

You say: "There have not been scientifically proven benefits of breastfeeding for period under 6 months". Nature may not be perfect, but breast milk is better than formula milk.

BeeDees - I don't think they're personal views. They're opinions of the WHO chief and indeed carry a lot of weight from someone who is supposed to be knowledgeable.

I'm with PDLM on this.

As stated, it's not her personal view, it is the view of the WHO.

I don't think you need a scientific report to proof that natural breast milk is better than a factory made product.

It is the young women's choice to juggle work, family, and sanity. They can also choose not to.

Why is it okay for you to voice your opinion in a public forum and not Margaret Chan?

[QUOTE=KnowItAll;251303]BeeDees - I don't think they're personal views. They're opinions of the WHO chief and indeed carry a lot of weight from someone who is supposed to be knowledgeable. [QUOTE]

I know her words are supposed to carry a lot of weight and disagree with the careless ways she had phrased her views - ''I don't know why young women these days don't breastfeed''. There are many reasons why some mothers are not breastfeeding or cannot.

Lulumay - MC can voice her opinions in a public forum, it's part of her job scope. But as a senior representative from an international organisation, she has the responsibility to phrase her words more carefully.

'I don't know why young women these days don't breastfeed''. There are many reasons why some mothers are not breastfeeding or cannot.
    And she does not know them.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast