Like Tree76Likes

South China Sea 2015

Closed Thread
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHairy:
    Anyone feeling nervous? Trump's rhetoric all over the Chinese news today...strong words from both sides...
    Living at the end of a runway used by what is laughingly called the Philippine Air Force, yep. Two options:

- neither side bomb us because they don't know which side the Philippines is on

- both sides bomb us because they don't know which side the Philippines is on

The Philippines is deperately trying to stay out of this one.
    DirtyHairy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Living at the end of a runway used by what is laughingly called the Philippine Air Force, yep. Two options:

- neither side bomb us because they don't know which side the Philippines is on

- both sides bomb us because they don't know which side the Philippines is on

The Philippines is deperately trying to stay out of this one.
    No worries. Duterte will come on his jet ski and kill them all.
    East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    No worries. Duterte will come on his jet ski and kill them all.
    As he said " I can't even swim".

I hope the Chinese Navy don't make HK a base and therefore a target. At least the Philippines can now claim to be neutral, HK is part of the evil empire.

Trump has the HK / Navy connection covered.

US President Donald Trump has selected long-time private equity fund manager Philip Bilden to be the next secretary of the Navy, the White House announced Wednesday.
    Bilden, who ran the Hong Kong branch of the private equity firm Harbourvest Partners since 1996 before recently stepping down, was floated by the Trump transition team as a candidate for the job earlier this month, according to a report from the US Naval Institute.
    “As Secretary of the Navy, Philip Bilden will apply his terrific judgement and top-notch management skills to the task of rebuilding our unparalleled Navy,” Trump said in a statement.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Trump has the HK / Navy connection covered.
    Well I suppose having "harbour" in the name of your company makes you qualified to run the navy

Seriously my fear of a war has gone up from 1% to say 5%.

Oh and a P.S. on the jet ski comment, Duterte said he would go on a jet ski if China blocked fishing at Scarborough as they had since 2012. It is open for fishing again so his gob was more effective than a jet ski.

Well, he is ex navy intelligence, which makes him a little bit more qualified to do his job than say some people in other unnamed governments.

hullexile likes this.

Well, he is ex navy intelligence, which makes him a little bit more qualified to do his job than say some people in other unnamed governments.
    Bilden served from 1986 to 1996 in the Army Reserve as a military intelligence officer, including a stint at the Defense Intelligence Agency.
    Served in the Army Reserves, isnt that like being in the boys scouts, a part timer LOL
    civil_servant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    Served in the Army Reserves, isnt that like being in the boys scouts, a part timer LOL
    No.

Skyhook and lbear40 like this.

Most people in most governments, especially the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Well I suppose having "harbour" in the name of your company makes you qualified to run the navy .
    And did you notice the pun in Post 156: he was floated for the job.

- - - - - -

From H.M.S. Pinafore by Gilbert and Sullivan

When I was a lad I served a term
    As office boy to an attorney's firm.
    I cleaned the windows and I swept the floor
    And I polished up the handle of the big front door.
    I polished up the handle so carefully,
    That now I am the ruler of the Queen's Navy. ...
    shri and hullexile like this.