Like Tree76Likes

South China Sea 2015

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

just accidentally nuke the south china sea so that the area becomes radio active and inhabitable

Quote Originally Posted by Ern:
    If the US back down, it will only encourage China to further excessses. Open season to help themselves to what they want, where they want disregarding the national sovereignty of other countries.

We shall see, maybe they will declare an ADIZ soon over the area. Then things should warm up.
    Actually that is interesting, because China argues that if it backs down, this would only encourage other states to encroach on "their" territory. So both sides have red lines. They are even saying the US action will accelerate their military development in the South China Sea.

I quite enjoyed Kevo's talk on TED.

Kevin is actually very well researched on China, more than most as Chinese culture/history is a bit more than a hobby for him. He was also our ambassador for Beijing for a number of years..He's also one of the few Anglo western figures fluent in Putonghua, written & spoken.
    He's also the president of the Asia Society Policy Institute.

Cho-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:

Kevin is actually very well researched on China, more than most as Chinese culture/history is a bit more than a hobby for him. He was also our ambassador for Beijing for a number of years..He's also one of the few Anglo western figures fluent in Putonghua, written & spoken.
    You know, I think he is a lot better as a China analyst than he ever was as Australia's PM. ☺
    East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    It does not make sense for the US to throw away all that for a bunch of islands.
    the islands don't matter at all...the issue is key shipping lanes in international waters.

it appears China is trying to dictate or control areas in the South China Sea...the USA will not tolerate that.

I predict a NATO type situation ( though not as formal), led by the U.S., where countries like Japan, Vietnam, Philipines & others join ranks to contain China. Without such a partnership, I fear a messy outcome.

A bigger fear is that the economy in China tanks. It might be happening already. Once the economy goes, the communist party will have to distract the populace. No better way to do that then start a little spat with Japan or Vietnam.

ultimately the U.S. cant be the counterweight to China.... that has to come from Japan and long term India.

so what happens if it does happen? especially for Chinese Americans. maybe it's a good idea to go to Canada instead. and, no way Clinton will get my vote. too hawkish for the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:

If he is so knowledgeable about China, why does he show this sign at 11:04?

Perhaps he should have done some research first. He could start here.

EastSouthWestNorth: No Chinese Or Dogs Allowed

Japan now looking to beef up its neighbours' capabilitites.

RTHK English News

As I stated earlier, you are slowly starting to see countries in SE Asia aligning and working together to contain China's territorial expansion. I see this as a direct result of China building islands in disputed waters and sending oil rigs off the coast of Vietnam. As long as China tries to expand it's territory, I think you will see further cooperation between smaller nations in an attempt to stop them.

India and U.S. agree on ground-breaking defense projects | Reuters

US, Vietnam Deepen Defense Ties | The Diplomat

Tokyo, Manila boost security ties as China pushes maritime claims | Reuters

Skyhook likes this.

and China is ramping up it's military capabilities, especially its naval forces. Make no mistake, China fully intends on claiming the entire South China Sea....

China's Getting Ready to Turn on Asia's Biggest Warship | Popular Science

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast