Like Tree505Likes

China is a basket case....

Page 13 of 62 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 21 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Grumbler:
    was reading US yahoo comments about this a few days ago. most said they were not offended. but then again, most of them sounded like trump voters. so...
    Why would people in Africa support Trump?

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    I agree that that is a more valid getting the views of Sub-Saharan Africa. But the point that was interesting for me was the biggest quantity of aligned comments on any article for many months pretty much all stating that the barbarous West are the real racists (which is xenophobic at best).

Why would a country go to such lengths with 412 comments on an fluff piece article in a state mouth.
    Perhaps they are real people?

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    They could also be fairies sprinkling their pixie dust over the stories.. That's about as likely as your suggestion!

Most articles about HK get 10 or so comments.

Articles about Joshua Wong get 150 or so (140 all saying the same thing)

China being racist or at least naive in terms of cultural understanding got the highest. A government that wastes so much energy is not a good government
    angeluscomplex likes this.

Unfortunately most of the highly aligned comments are pointing at how racist western culture was. Pure whataboutism from hundreds of what some would assume paid posters. Why is the CCP so sensitivity about being seen as race intensive?
    Western culture is still racist, but I agree that pointing that out doesn't address the issue at hand, especially when Africans don't have a history of colonization like Western culture does.

"Blackface" and racial stereotypes shouldn't be used to depict Africans/African Americans in the media, period. I'm reminded of Robert Downey Jr's role in Tropic Thunder back in 2008, where he went "full blackface" for the role. There was controversy over the film back then but it went on to make $188 million.

Difference there being he didn't play a black character, he played a white character playing a black character.

Or as he put it a "dude playing a dude disguised as another dude"

shri and Skyhook like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    They could also be fairies sprinkling their pixie dust over the stories.. That's about as likely as your suggestion!
    There are people on this site you claim are 50 centers that I know for a fact are real people who just happen to hold that point of view.

There are people on this site you claim are 50 centers that I know for a fact are real people who just happen to hold that point of view.
    For someone who claims to have a scientific mind and be highly numerate, I'd love to see you estimate the statistical likelihood of distribution of comments on the SCMP being unconnected discrete commentators

50 centers are often real people with real opinions. No doubt about that. Just that some of them add no value to our lives.

And while we are on the black face topic. Let's not forget the Oscar Winning Gandhi.

And do we have a problem with Americans playing British PMs?

Page 13 of 62 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 21 ... LastLast