Like Tree505Likes

China is a basket case....

Page 32 of 63 FirstFirst ... 24 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 40 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mefisto:
    "silly to ask for perfection as long as it gets it mostly right"

"as long as it catches a mouse" (for the benefit of the CC.... Motherland)

"an export is an export"

https://twitter.com/melissakchan/sta...32280983613440

9 out of 10 China Law blog is shoddy lawyer advice.

Name:  image (3).png
Views: 169
Size:  143.2 KB

In the end, one thing matters. Can you find a supplier that produces higher quality masks at the scale you need them? If not, then you need the realize it's not China that's the problem.
    East_coast likes this.

East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I really don't fully understand the total anti-China bias on here. Sure, the CCP do many awful things, but I'm not sure this virus response is necessarily one of them. They acted slowly, yes. (Show me a European country that acted fast? Look at the USA ffs. ). Like every country that finally figured out shit was hitting the fan, they then did something about it, and what they did seems to have been effective.

Have they tested everybody? NO. (Who has?)
    Do they have their own definitions of confirmed cases and deaths? (Yes - so does everyone else)
    Did they change definitions? Yes. (And so you should, if you realise there is a better way).

Are they hiding thousands of dead people? I don't know. I can't imagine that would be easy. Media may be controlled in China, but bad stuff usually gets out.

Are they hiding one or two dead people from time to time - probably. It would be consistent with how they operate to fudge facts a little. But as long as it's not a lot, does it really matter that much?
    @HK_Katherine your post has been lingering in my mind... My partner kind of says the same thing you are saying.

For me I feel the CCP has failed in two parts (these are two very personal points...). One is animal welfare. In 2018 they promoted the wildlife trade, and China has a remarkable lack of animal welfare laws. They've pushed people out of poverty, but have yet this has created a distorted situation in cities. On the other hand, wild animals are being caught and used in dubious ways even for the entertainment industry. Even now, China continues to promote Chinese medicine, including the horrendous use of bear bile, for treating the corona virus.

The other thing I think that is a failure of the CCP is vanity, which has prevented them from focusing on things that could genuinely improve the quality of life for their billion residents. In this case, namely hygiene. (We have to put up with this vanity shit in Hong Kong everyday.) Just look at the bridge to Macau, and what a powerful expression of capability and money it is. But in the meantime, they have largely neglected promoting the simplest improvements of hygiene like soap and hand-washing. I've traveled to my good fair share of countries, and it never fails to amaze me that I can get on a high-speed train akin to Germany's and yet there is no damn soap in the toilets.

This is really just my two cents, but I feel the misplaced priorities of an authoritarian government will exposed through a situation like this. Honestly, a terrible epidemic was just waiting to happen...

I'm really concerned about how China has manipulated numbers and what this may mean for Hong Kong in terms of a third wave. Let's see... I simply can't imagine that a population of a billion people, who don't have a culture of hand-washing, could only have 80,000 cases when we're seeing so many other countries with a fraction of that population size rack up numbers far exceeding 80,000 so quickly.
    Plutark and Coolboy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    @HK_Katherine your post has been lingering in my mind... My partner kind of says the same thing you are saying.

For me I feel the CCP has failed in two parts (these are two very personal points...). One is animal welfare. In 2018 they promoted the wildlife trade, and China has a remarkable lack of animal welfare laws. They've pushed people out of poverty, but have yet this has created a distorted situation in cities. On the other hand, wild animals are being caught and used in dubious ways even for the entertainment industry. Even now, China continues to promote Chinese medicine, including the horrendous use of bear bile, for treating the corona virus.

The other thing I think that is a failure of the CCP is vanity, which has prevented them from focusing on things that could genuinely improve the quality of life for their billion residents. In this case, namely hygiene. (We have to put up with this vanity shit in Hong Kong everyday.) Just look at the bridge to Macau, and what a powerful expression of capability and money it is. But in the meantime, they have largely neglected promoting the simplest improvements of hygiene like soap and hand-washing. I've traveled to my good fair share of countries, and it never fails to amaze me that I can get on a high-speed train akin to Germany's and yet there is no damn soap in the toilets.

This is really just my two cents, but I feel the misplaced priorities of an authoritarian government will exposed through a situation like this. Honestly, a terrible epidemic was just waiting to happen...

I'm really concerned about how China has manipulated numbers and what this may mean for Hong Kong in terms of a third wave. Let's see... I simply can't imagine that a population of a billion people, who don't have a culture of hand-washing, could only have 80,000 cases when we're seeing so many other countries with a fraction of that population size rack up numbers far exceeding 80,000 so quickly.
    This is a very good point you made on the misplaced priorities of the CCP. A problem not unique to the CCP but is shared with other authoritarian regimes. They pursue vanity projects to seek national glory, yet often neglect the more mundane, less "flashy" but highly relevant issues for its citizens, like basic education on hygiene. Or stopping the wildlife trade. People have been warning China since SARS to crackdown the wild game trade, but they haven't done a thing about it...until this outbreak. Some say the vested interest was too strong. Well, if Xi wanted to do something about it, he could, he is the most powerful man in China since Mao and Deng after all.

Will this coronavirus make them change? Maybe, maybe not. I personally hope so, but old habits die hard...
    Last edited by Coolboy; 12-04-2020 at 10:27 AM.

"I've been sleeping under the bridge for four days with no food to eat... I cannot buy food anywhere, no shops or restaurants will serve me," said Tony Mathias

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...abChangeable=0

Racism is very sad to see anywhere but not serving people food?

So that was what was flooding my Twitter feed...
    https://twitter.com/jasonyng/status/...939460609?s=21

AsianXpat0 and Mefisto like this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    "I've been sleeping under the bridge for four days with no food to eat... I cannot buy food anywhere, no shops or restaurants will serve me," said Tony Mathias

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...abChangeable=0

Racism is very sad to see anywhere but not serving people food?
    If Snufkin is a reliable source... this isn’t very surprising and that’s rather sad.
    https://twitter.com/anon_snufkin/sta...095738369?s=21

Page 32 of 63 FirstFirst ... 24 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 40 ... LastLast