Like Tree505Likes

China is a basket case....

Reply
Page 51 of 62 FirstFirst ... 43 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 59 ... LastLast
  1. #501

  2. #502

  3. #503

  4. #504

  5. #505

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    4,079
    https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/04/19/china/wen-jiabao-xi-jinping-china-mic-intl-hnk/index.html

    "In my mind, China should be a country full of fairness and justice," Wen wrote. "There should always be respect for the will of the people, humanity and the nature of human beings. There should always be youthfulness, freedom and a striving spirit."
    China (and no one else) is making itself a basket case if these aspirational goals are thought of as deserving censorship. Sadly that seems in line with official policy, and more alarmingly, would seem to have traction with a minority of apologists outside China.
    Coolboy likes this.

  6. #506

    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    2,235
    Quote Originally Posted by AsianXpat0:
    Sadly that seems in line with official policy, and more alarmingly, would seem to have traction with a minority of apologists outside China.
    I don't think many of the apologists to whom you allude wish for anything less than freedom, youthfulness and democracy for China either.

    It's just that we think it will come quickest if it comes from within. The 'external solutions' that the West has trialled, ranging from the IMF tearing down tariff walls and opening up low industrialisation economies to world trade unprotected, through to the 'bomb-occupy-rebuild in our image' have been pretty conclusively shown to be failures.

    Give China some time to find its own way around these problems. There are other basket cases more deserving of your attention!

  7. #507

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,264
    Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    Give China some time to find its own way around these problems.
    Have you been paying ANY attention at all what's China been up to in HK these past few years or are you willfully burying your head in the sand?

  8. #508

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by AsianXpat0:
    https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/04/19/china/wen-jiabao-xi-jinping-china-mic-intl-hnk/index.html



    China (and no one else) is making itself a basket case if these aspirational goals are thought of as deserving censorship. Sadly that seems in line with official policy, and more alarmingly, would seem to have traction with a minority of apologists outside China.

    The sources (chinese that have connection with internal CCP) have said Xi is an enemy to almost everyone in the party because of his desire to become emperor. Everyone is waiting for the big fuck up or major event to happen and a coup will start.
    GentleGeorge likes this.

  9. #509

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    /home/timonoj
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by match_d:
    The sources (chinese that have connection with internal CCP) have said Xi is an enemy to almost everyone in the party because of his desire to become emperor. Everyone is waiting for the big fuck up or major event to happen and a coup will start.
    A big fuck up event? You mean maybe like some huge mismanagement that would allow a global pandemic to be started in China, and then due to misinformation and silencing being unable to contain it as it spreads to the rest of the world? Something like that? Because I didn't see any kind of attacks on his persona...
    Gatts, Sage, aw451 and 2 others like this.

  10. #510

    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    2,235
    Quote Originally Posted by timonoj:
    A big fuck up event? You mean maybe like some huge mismanagement that would allow a global pandemic to be started in China, and then due to misinformation and silencing being unable to contain it as it spreads to the rest of the world? Something like that? Because I didn't see any kind of attacks on his persona...
    It did look like it for a bit didn't it?

    But then they got a hold of the situation and actually made it into a winner, while all of the outside world looks crazy to most Chinese people right now
    match_d likes this.

Reply
Page 51 of 62 FirstFirst ... 43 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 59 ... LastLast