Like Tree91Likes

China bans hip-hop & tattoos from media

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Give up, you've lost already.
    Its not a competition...

Quote Originally Posted by Golem:
    I'm not sure what you are trying to say here but you are making a point against your claim. Shakespeare is omnipresent in the English language but has also transcended it and is also very well known in non english speaking countries.
    I'm not saying anything. I am just asking and wondering... because if Tupac (or other rappers) are only impactful within their small subculture. And Shakespeare is only impactful on the English speaking world, then there are huge Spanish and Chinese speaking populations who must have their own influential writers.

I learnt about Shakespeare in English class, but i'm sure Chinese kids don't learn about him in Chinese class.

If that's the case, the Civil Servant is correct in that Shakespeare is only so well known because of the widespread use of English around the world.

Louis Cha (Jin Yong) must be up there for Chinese culture.

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    Its not a competition...
    Lucky for you

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    I'm not saying anything. I am just asking and wondering... because if Tupac (or other rappers) are only impactful within their small subculture. And Shakespeare is only impactful on the English speaking world, then there are huge Spanish and Chinese speaking populations who must have their own influential writers.
    Of course they have, as almost any language has, but none are the lingua franca that english is.

This is a strange thread. There are some great hip hop artists but given the thousands of words and phrases Shakespeare gave to the English language there really is no comparison.

HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    This is a strange thread. There are some great hip hop artists but given the thousands of words and phrases Shakespeare gave to the English language there really is no comparison.
    Did you read this?

https://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/20...n8H/story.html
    Skyhook likes this.

Maybe this song about "Stupid Foreigners" had something to do with it...

Banning hip hop from is very specific. If they wanted to go after Western music, why wouldn't they ban pop music instead?

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    I did not say he invented the words but gave them (by putting in print). You have to add to the words the phrases as well. The article argues that it is likely he invented less than often attributed but still a hell of a lot.
    East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Doesn't the article re-enforce that this Playwright stood out from the crowd due to the vastness and quality of the body of work which was and probably still is unparalleled. Some words may words (and many more I suspect) were wrongly attributed to him but his ability to turn a phrase has stood the test of time.

No doubt each culture has an outstanding writers but this one stands the test on time.

Personally I can't abide his style but recognise that he is revered by a large number not a narrow niche.

If it were up to me obviously the bard would be replaced with the reading of pseudo- economics books. Out with the obscure Sub-Saharan African, East Asian or socially downtrodden writers and in with the factual writers.

It is odd that the school system focuses on reading and writing for pleasure when probably the majority of us read and write to understand and be understood.

Anyway must get back to reading a joyful story

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast