Like Tree112Likes

China Trade War - Tarrifs, Tarrifs and more Tarrifs

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    Having this conversation with the wife today. If you are a CEO of a company that sources exclusively from China and you haven't been working to find other OEM options, you should be shit-canned. The Vietnams and Indonesias of the world should be rolling out the red carpet for a once in a generation chance to lure multinationals.
    It is happening. Just to check I called a few recruitment firms in Vietnam, Indian, Indonisia and they are very busy trying to find people for multinationals to resource from China. Mr Trump has changed the direction of the world whether we like it or not.

What tools does China have to retaliate?
    Last edited by East_coast; 13-05-2019 at 02:41 PM.
    ramelec and huja like this.

Original Post Deleted
    I suspect also patent infringements, sub-standard materials confiscated.

As for soybeans and other agri-products I suspect Trump will recycle some of the taxes he is raising and litter his core constituents with favours masked as a relief programme.

More mainlanders are going to come to HK to buy their Iphones lol

China said it would impose 25 per cent duties on a portion of US$60 billion worth of US goods starting on June 1
    https://www.scmp.com/news/china/poli...tures-tumbling

@chuckster007 - I don't think iPhones are on the current round of tariffs. Next round for sure, they're running out of things to add tax, given how relatively less they import from the US.

chuckster007 likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    And the American version, boycott Huawei. That is one of the problems, once both sides have stirred up the anti sentiment in their populations it becomes hard to back down.
    huja likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    The other way around. They're not on US list (misread the whole implication of people swarming over to HK to buy).

Most of the list right now is intermediate goods, which manufacturers / vendors can sort of absorb / soften.

Next list of tariffs may include finished products - phone and other things which will have day 1 impact?

Americans can absorb tariff on cheap plastic crap or even Nikes which cost $10 ex factory but $200 on shelves so what’s a few more bucks for the consumer? But Americans sell the big ticket items like private jets, jumbo jets, farm equipment, luxury vehicles, surveying equipment, bulldozers, stuff that will hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by jonastainine:
    Americans can absorb tariff on cheap plastic crap or even Nikes which cost $10 ex factory but $200 on shelves so what’s a few more bucks for the consumer? But Americans sell the big ticket items like private jets, jumbo jets, farm equipment, luxury vehicles, surveying equipment, bulldozers, stuff that will hurt.
    You are forgetting bovine semen, I am sure that hurts

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    You are forgetting bovine semen, I am sure that hurts
    The worlds largest bovine seman supplier is from the UK. Those pesky tories privatised the Milk Marketing Board and from that badly run quango a world beater was created. Surprised it is not on Corbyn's list to re-nationalise.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast