Like Tree119Likes

Is there anything you like/appreciate about China?

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Never been to Zhangjiajie, but heard it's very crowded, nothing like in movie Avatar. Maybe go there in winter?

Quote Originally Posted by ppqq:
    Never been to Zhangjiajie, but heard it's very crowded, nothing like in movie Avatar. Maybe go there in winter?
    Well, I didn't suggest I will be going there now.

Zhangjiajie is part of the Wulingyuan mountain range, the tallest part of it I am tempted to also visit, Fanjingshan:

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Well, I didn't suggest I will be going there now.

Zhangjiajie is part of the Wulingyuan mountain range, the tallest part of it I am tempted to also visit, Fanjingshan:

It's one of those places where you can easily avoid the crowds by not taking the same path. Me and my wife went on paths where we didn't see anyone for over an hour. Tip, don't line up for the cable car, walk up instead.

Fanjingshan is in Guizhou province. The mountain shown on the picture is actually not hard to climb up, it takes 10 to 15 minutes to go all the way to top, then another 10 minutes for taking pictures before heading down. it's certainly not for faint heart but I see kids made it to the top. The nearby mountain area is nice to visit too.

Quote Originally Posted by ppqq:
    Fanjingshan is in Guizhou province. The mountain shown on the picture is actually not hard to climb up, it takes 10 to 15 minutes to go all the way to top, then another 10 minutes for taking pictures before heading down. it's certainly not for faint heart but I see kids made it to the top. The nearby mountain area is nice to visit too.
    But it is the same mountain range as Zhangjiajie, Wuling, so my statement was correct.

Heck, my travel lust probably can be satisfied, minus the crowd, if I go to the far flung corners of China, like Kashgar and the Karakoram Highway:

The great Mosque in Xi'an was a wonderfully calming experience after the hustle and bustle of the souq outside

Name:  57f07c0480661.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  187.2 KB

Coolboy likes this.

I went to Huashan near Xian on christmas day. Very nice place and practically had the whole mountain to ourselves.

Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    This is actually a place I want to go to in China, Zhanhjiajie. Anyone been there? How was it?

Really crowded - more so than usual. And pollution can be pretty bad meaning that the views can be shrouded in haze.

Chinese sword and swordsmanship is also something I have interest to learn. Not as famous as the Japanese katana (which I also admire very much), but they do have their own history. This is a good video introducing the straight double-edged "jian" from the Qing Dynasty:

And the Chinese long sword, which influenced the development of the Japanese sword:

Someone mention pineapples in another thread, that made me keen to try pineapple rice, Chinese style:

Is this availabe in HK?

Last edited by Coolboy; 13-05-2020 at 11:51 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast