Like Tree119Likes

Is there anything you like/appreciate about China?

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ppqq:
    Fanjingshan is in Guizhou province. The mountain shown on the picture is actually not hard to climb up, it takes 10 to 15 minutes to go all the way to top, then another 10 minutes for taking pictures before heading down. it's certainly not for faint heart but I see kids made it to the top. The nearby mountain area is nice to visit too.
    But it is the same mountain range as Zhangjiajie, Wuling, so my statement was correct.

Heck, my travel lust probably can be satisfied, minus the crowd, if I go to the far flung corners of China, like Kashgar and the Karakoram Highway:

The great Mosque in Xi'an was a wonderfully calming experience after the hustle and bustle of the souq outside

Name:  57f07c0480661.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  187.2 KB

Coolboy likes this.

I went to Huashan near Xian on christmas day. Very nice place and practically had the whole mountain to ourselves.

Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    This is actually a place I want to go to in China, Zhanhjiajie. Anyone been there? How was it?

Really crowded - more so than usual. And pollution can be pretty bad meaning that the views can be shrouded in haze.

Chinese sword and swordsmanship is also something I have interest to learn. Not as famous as the Japanese katana (which I also admire very much), but they do have their own history. This is a good video introducing the straight double-edged "jian" from the Qing Dynasty:

And the Chinese long sword, which influenced the development of the Japanese sword:

Someone mention pineapples in another thread, that made me keen to try pineapple rice, Chinese style:

Is this availabe in HK?

Last edited by Coolboy; 13-05-2020 at 11:51 AM.

I really enjoyed Guilin and Yangshao .

Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor:
    I really enjoyed Guilin and Yangshao .
    Speaking of Guilin and Chinese landscapes, @GentleGeorge said there can be many beautiful places to see in China on the Travel Bucket List thread. One place relatively close to HK to see, once travel restrictions are lifted, is Danxia Mountains in northern Guangdong near the city of Shaoguan. Shaoguan is reached by high speed rail from HK in under 2 hours. A weekend trip from HK is quite doable.

Unlike Guilin/Yangshuo, which is primarily of karst limestome rock formation, Danixa consist of sedimentary sandstone. It is also less famous than Guilin and thus can be a little less crowded. Definitely worth visiting:

alexdown likes this.

Danxia is definitely worth a visit (so is that whole "corner" of northern Guangdong). Danxia is the geopark with the "rude" rock formations which give opportunities for plenty of sniggers.

Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chingleutsch:
    Danxia is definitely worth a visit (so is that whole "corner" of northern Guangdong). Danxia is the geopark with the "rude" rock formations which give opportunities for plenty of sniggers.
    There are also nice areas to the West of Shaoguan. Nanling forest area and Guangdong Great Canyon.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast