Like Tree12Likes

Xi threatens ...

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Ugandan Indians were penniless when they arrived - now they are the most likely group to be millionaires in the UK.

HKers will be the same... especially if they sell housing out here and rock up with a million USD on day one to get started!

mrgoodkat, Coolboy and Mr Chips like this.

Hasn't the UK been tightening the rules for investment migration? The same with professionals. I am not sure if those visas are that easy to obtain. In any case, they may well encounter a drop in income from the higher taxes and different business environment in the UK vs HK. And asylum seeking is a long drawn out process too.
    ? Those people can choose any country... it's only the BNO route that limits you to the UK...
    Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chips:
    ? Those people can choose any country... it's only the BNO route that limits you to the UK...
    But won't the same issue crop up for the rich elsewhere, investment migration criteria is tightening in Australia and Canada too. It's not a UK-specific trend. As for "choosing any country", surely if you are rich you would prefer a place with a reliable rule of law and transparent government rather than some tinpot dictatorship in Africa or Latin America. So that limits their choice somewhat. I suppose there is always Monaco or some southern European country that is a member in EU which acts as a backdoor, get in say Portugual and you can move to Germany or France. Although that is very roundabout way of getting out of HK!
    Last edited by Coolboy; 30-05-2020 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chips:
    I reckon Xi doesn't care about HK much... it's bad optics for him and it's value to China as a SAR overrated. I think they'll push ahead with a surgical crackdown and absorb HK into the Mainland with no special status...

Better than even chance of anyone without PR being booted out while this resolves...

Expats will bail... Wealthy HKers will bail to the west... BNOs and their offspring will bail to the UK... the protester generation will bail to Taiwan, braver souls may try for asylum in other countries... those that stay will be swamped...

This process will be wrapped up and ready for Christmas!
    Love most of what you say but the timeline, not so much. Mainland gears change incredibly slowly and I think a lot of people missed the fact that China may have already blinked. In that, the law is APPROVED to be written. How long that takes and how long it takes to get put into Art 23 remains to be seen. Typical CCP posturing and reality takes it's sweet time to emerge.

For me, I'll give it a year because like lots of others we wait to see if the US gets The Orange out and if it does ( of course it will ) then grown ups will be in charge and things will change. China cannot afford any fight with the US and vice versa, it makes no economic sense. So hence my year thinking.

Original Post Deleted
    Take a logic and an English course. Somehow boost your IQ.