Like Tree12Likes

Xi threatens ...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Xi threatens ...

War with Taiwan

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/dipl...tely-smash-any

Book stores were not illegal in HK in the past - at least not in written law but certainly on a defacto basis. Seems prospectively, they will be in fact illegal.

Original Post Deleted
    Pls elaborate

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    War with Taiwan
    I wonder if anyone in the CPC actually thought about how this would work. Invading these mini-islands within swimming distance from Xiamen. Ok. Maybe. But invading a large country with a large military more than a hundred kilometers away? How? Yes, you can nuke it into the Stone Age, but even without US military support - what are the odds that any of your landing ships even makes it to the other side of the street?

What F'ing books are you talking about? Stop shooting from the hip trying to take down others posts. If you are gonna do so be more intelligent about it. The thread started with an article about specific bookstores. I said the CWB bookstores are not illlegal per local HK law but they are defacto illegal as the central government doesn't favor them. Evidence being what happened to some of the sellers.
    Then I said with the new national security law they might definitely be illegal for national security reasons.
    You learn how to read? Understand meaning of defacto?: De Facto is a legal term meaning "in fact" or "in reality", which is used to qualify many legal terms.

Paxbritannia likes this.

I reckon Xi doesn't care about HK much... it's bad optics for him and it's value to China as a SAR overrated. I think they'll push ahead with a surgical crackdown and absorb HK into the Mainland with no special status...

Better than even chance of anyone without PR being booted out while this resolves...

Expats will bail... Wealthy HKers will bail to the west... BNOs and their offspring will bail to the UK... the protester generation will bail to Taiwan, braver souls may try for asylum in other countries... those that stay will be swamped...

This process will be wrapped up and ready for Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chips:

Expats will bail... Wealthy HKers will bail to the west... BNOs and their offspring will bail to the UK... the protester generation will bail to Taiwan, braver souls may try for asylum in other countries... those that stay will be swamped...

This process will be wrapped up and ready for Christmas!
    This is the thing I am wondering. Now some are seeing the BNO as a lifeline, a ticket to escape HK if the worst occurs, but its not just about fleeing HK for the safety of the UK. They need to get a job and make a living in the UK. And with the current state of the British economy I don't really know if they will really be better off in UK in terms of economics. I mean what are the BNO folks going to do? They can't all open Chinese restaurants. And even if they are professionals, there is the problem of a potential lack of recognition of your qualification credentials in the UK. Can a HK doctor practice in the UK? Or a lawyer or accountant? Or teacher? We know from migrants elsewhere, say a university professor in Uganda, can only end up being a waiter or taxi driver in the UK or US. So its a big cut in income and social status potentially.

I'm not suggesting the UK move is useless or a wrong move to take. The UK has to take action in response to the national security laws. I'm not saying that is right or wrong, I am simply stating a possible reality these BNO passport holders face residing in the UK. Are these BNO people ready to accept a big drop in income?
    Last edited by Coolboy; 30-05-2020 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Are these BNO people ready to accept a big drop in income?
    The rich can use investment visas.

Professionals can use working visas.

Protesters can use asylum.

IMO, the BNO option is most useful for working class folks... the minimum wage is higher in the UK... HK people work harder than British people... I reckon most working class, HK people would end up about the same or even slightly better off in the UK... especially if they have kids and avoid London.
    Coolboy and mrgoodkat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chips:
    The rich can use investment visas.

Professionals can use working visas.

Protesters can use asylum.

IMO, the BNO option is most useful for working class folks... the minimum wage is higher in the UK... HK people work harder than British people... I reckon most working class, HK people would end up about the same or even slightly better off in the UK... especially if they have kids and avoid London.
    I don't know about the rich and professionals. Hasn't the UK been tightening the rules for investment migration? The same with professionals. I am not sure if those visas are that easy to obtain. In any case, they may well encounter a drop in income from the higher taxes and different business environment in the UK vs HK. And asylum seeking is a long drawn out process too.

I do agree it is the working class folks who will stand to benefit the most. They can get a somewhat higher income in the UK and can enjoy a larger and better quality living environment than the tiny cages that pass for homes in HK. That raises another interesting question, how many BNO holders are from the working class?
    Last edited by Coolboy; 30-05-2020 at 09:23 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast