Like Tree53Likes

Sino/US: Houston and Chengdu Consulates Being Closed...

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Fck. I need to renew my passport in Jan. Please don’t be HK. Please don’t be HK.

Quote Originally Posted by mucaari:
    Weibo / social media / chinese interwebs chatter...

From the SCMP:

According to its official website, the consulate general of China in Houston “was the first one to be established” in 1979 when the two countries established diplomatic relations.

"The US “will not tolerate the PRC’s violations of our sovereignty and intimidation of our people"

Now I am curious. What kind of "violation of sovereignty and intimidation" is going on in Houston exactly?
    East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    "The US “will not tolerate the PRC’s violations of our sovereignty and intimidation of our people"

Now I am curious. What kind of "violation of sovereignty and intimidation" is going on in Houston exactly?
    There's been a bunch of chatter recently about spying and industrial espionage - I guess they're claiming there were spies based in that consulate who were involved with stealing IP...

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    There's been a bunch of chatter recently about spying and industrial espionage - I guess they're claiming there were spies based in that consulate who were involved with stealing IP...
    Not justifying Chinese spying, but espionage has been done through the consulates by both US and China in the past. I won't go so far as to say it is "accepted practice" in diplomacy. It is not allowed officially, but unofficially... it is something that all countries secretly know and do from time-to-time as an unspoken activity, utilizing the consulates as cover. Both Washington and Beijing understands this. What kind of espionage was so outrageous this time that the US ordered the closure of the Houston consulate. I am very curious to know about this.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 22-07-2020 at 05:18 PM.
    Jackie1 and drumbrake like this.

But how are those two hackers connected to the Houston consulate? US has charged alleged CCP spies before without closure of consulates. What changed this time?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast