Like Tree47Likes

TikTok, WeChat/Tencent - US Executive Order

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Not defending China or Tiktok, but a little perspective might be in order. Its not like US technology companies haven't been helping Uncle Sam with spying activities and collection of sensitive personal data. What? This is in the interest of freedom and democracy of America? Not with Trump. The moral hypocrisy of the Trump administration is well-known. The argument that China's oppression is far worse (self-evidently true) does not change the reality that this is more about US' naked self-interest in protecting American ability to spy on the rest of the world:

https://theintercept.com/2020/08/06/...free-internet/

Last edited by Coolboy; 07-08-2020 at 12:48 PM.

For what it's worth, they do seem to now have clarified - albeit not formally - that they are targeting WeChat and any subsidiary services, rather than Tencent as a whole...

Frankly, I don't think these orders will stand by the time they're due to come into place - they'll be challenged in court and probably at least delayed/diluted.

As to why Chinese like wechat so much,
    I think it’s more functional than other messengers.
    For example, when I have recalled a message
    I get the option to retrieve it and edit it.
    Have not seen this in WhatsApp

Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Not defending China or Tiktok, but a little perspective might be in order. Its not like US technology companies haven't been helping Uncle Sam with spying activities and collection of sensitive personal data. What? This is in the interest of freedom and democracy of America? Not with Trump. The moral hypocrisy of the Trump administration is well-known. The argument that China's oppression is far worse (self-evidently true) does not change the reality that this is more about US' naked self-interest in protecting American ability to spy on the rest of the world:

Perversely I would much rather deal with WeChat - where the security issues and use of the platform are well published than Google.

Hindsight is no good. I’m already tracked and Google say their GPS tracker has to be turned on by me. Yea right. I don’t trust that and I certainly don’t trust any promises (not that I have any) to delete my Google footprint.

I know I shouldn’t single Google out. The internet is a wonderful place but if we knew 15-20 years ago what we know now I think many of us would change the way we use it.

Unrelated to security but isn’t it about now where some teens are waking up to the reality that their growing up years were ‘helpfully’ posted for the entire world to see?

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    Are you serious? The WeChat chat interface / user experience is awful compared to WhatsApp. Chinese use it because its all there is, and they were able to bypass email in some sense due to the timing of their development and the ubiquity of smartphones.
    Flapster, Gatts, mucaari and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...ck/4712788002/

Shall we conventiently ignore this kind of activity? There is probably more that institutions are too reticent to disclose.
    gigglinggal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...ck/4712788002/

Shall we conventiently ignore this kind of activity? There is probably more that institutions are too reticent to disclose.
    I'm not justifiying Chinese hacking or "ignored" its spying, but I am saying its naive to assume China is the sole bad actor and that everything the US does is above board and good. That's just not true. US has also engaged in less-than-honourable activities using US tech firms as a cover.

The people in China use wechat because it is intergrated into their lives and not just for chatting. Just about every retailer (even the street cart vendors) uses Wechat pay. I had to make my registration for Shanghai Disneyland in Wechat. Sam's club uses Wechat for their membership card. Living in China is just easier by having Wechat. Whatsapp does not provide the same level of convenience.

I don't think it matters if wechat is blocked in the US. It is not used that much except by people who have to contact relatives in China. For business, you can still just use email or even skype. No need to be forced to use an app that has no other function than chatting.

gigglinggal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    Oh yes Wechat the user friendly app which competes with all other Chinese messaging apps in a such a free and open market. WARNING: sarcasm. Chinese don't "like Wechat so much", they simply are not allowed any other option.

China Statement:

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast