Like Tree94Likes

China rescue: British diplomat Stephen Ellison saves drowning woman

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    all these people watching and doing nothing. I know people can get sued for helping someone but they need to change these rules it's pretty stupid.
    It's easier to get social media likes by recording the incident rather than actually helping. Depending on how things pan out you can put it on Weibo or Liveleak
    angeluscomplex likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by aw451:
    It's easier to get social media likes by recording the incident rather than actually helping. Depending on how things pan out you can put it on Weibo or Liveleak
    Unfortunately so true, unless you can get someone to video you helping.
    Elegiaque and angeluscomplex like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I fell and broke my ankle a few years back. Most people just walked past. Eventually a security guard in a nearby estate called an ambulance.
    Did you not have a phone?

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    People here will help for simple things like someone collapsing on the sidewalk. Anything that's more out of the ordinary probably takes a lot more thinking outside the box and initiative- I think that first aid training is pretty rare here.

But then again, I have seen similar in other countries- twenty or so people clustered cluelessly around someone with a fractured leg in wilderness situations for almost half an hour.
    Its called the bystander effect, a social psychological condition. Its not unique to China or a particular age group, gender or culture. It's a global phenomenon. Good Samaritan laws is one example to counter its effect, offering legal protection to those who assist, absolving them of liability.

And on this particular incident, to be fair, other people didn't just stood by doing nothing. They threw a life buoy to the Consul to assist him to carry her back to shore.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 17-11-2020 at 01:06 PM.
    angeluscomplex likes this.

The idea of the Bystander Effect was popularised by a murder in NYC in the 1960s. It made national newspapers, raised cries of 'what is the world coming to' and kicked off decades of sociological studies.

The original incident was wildly misreported and massively inaccurate, probably sensationalised to sell news. There have been numerous, much more recent studies which downplay or negate the idea of the bystander effect, at least in the societies that it's been more studied in (i.e. not China).

In the two specific cases I was referencing, the cause was probably just general lack of first aid awareness. People wanted to be helpful, and were once given direction.

Last edited by jgl; 17-11-2020 at 01:09 PM.
    mused likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    all these people watching and doing nothing. I know people can get sued for helping someone but they need to change these rules it's pretty stupid.
    It's worse than stupid, it's Chinese culture. The law about getting sued is a product of Chinese culture, which is directly influenced by confucianism - It's exactly the same reason why many people don't hold a door for you, why people bump into you in the street, why so little is given to charity.... relatively. Why that toddler in Shenzhen was run over and killed and 18 people just walked past the body.

I have seen 2 incidents myself and know of several others from friends:

Car hits a child in Pokfulam (sandy bay) knocking the child into the a drainage ditch, the driver gets out and checks his bumper for a good 10+ seconds before walking over to the child. - I witnessed this, but he didn't attempt to help. There was similar incident caught on CCTV a few years ago at Times square where a taxi mounted the pavement and hit a pedestrian - driver did the same thing (though for less time).

Good friend of mine saw an old Chinese guy knocked over by a tram in wanchai - He didn't speak English, she no Chinese, a group of locals gathered around, no one would help or comfort him. She held his hand (and him) whilst he died - maybe for 3 or 4 minutes. 1 Chinese person called an ambulance everyone else just gawped. A DH who spoke a little canto came to help about 10 seconds before the guy died.

These are just the ones we see.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    The idea of the Bystander Effect was popularised by a murder in NYC in the 1960s. It made national newspapers, raised cries of 'what is the world coming to' and kicked off decades of sociological studies.

The original incident was wildly misreported and massively inaccurate, probably sensationalised to sell news. There have been numerous, much more recent studies which downplay or negate the idea of bystander effect, at least in the societies that it's been more studied in (i.e. not China).
    What are these studies? The concept is still sound. It has not been disproven. As usual, you are just arguing for the sake of it because it was me who pointed that out and you just can't stand that.

Why do you think Good Samaritan laws exist if bystander effect is not real? You think the authorities are just doing it for the hell of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    It's worse than stupid, it's Chinese culture. The law about getting sued is a product of Chinese culture, which is directly influenced by confucianism - It's exactly the same reason why many people don't hold a door for you, why people bump into you in the street, why so little is given to charity.... relatively. Why that toddler in Shenzhen was run over and killed and 18 people just walked past the body.

I have seen 2 incidents myself and know of several others from friends:

Car hits a child in Pokfulam (sandy bay) knocking the child into the a drainage ditch, the driver gets out and checks his bumper for a good 10+ seconds before walking over to the child. - I witnessed this, but he didn't attempt to help. There was similar incident caught on CCTV a few years ago at Times square where a taxi mounted the pavement and hit a pedestrian - driver did the same thing (though for less time).

Good friend of mine saw an old Chinese guy knocked over by a tram in wanchai - He didn't speak English, she no Chinese, a group of locals gathered around, no one would help or comfort him. She held his hand (and him) whilst he died - maybe for 3 or 4 minutes. 1 Chinese person called an ambulance everyone else just gawped. A DH who spoke a little canto came to help about 10 seconds before the guy died.

These are just the ones we see.
    No, a Good Samaritan law going into effect in 2017 on the mainland means getting sued by scammers is no longer applicable.

And I must say you might have an incorrect understanding of Confucianism if you think that is to blame for selfish and rude acts, if anything, Confucius condemns such behaviour.
    Aramis likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor:
    Did you not have a phone?

I broke my ankle, damaged my arm and shoulder, hit my head, could not really move or do anything (shock, I think they call it). Certainly was in no condition to call my own ambulance.
    shri, drumbrake and Mrs. Jones like this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast