Like Tree94Likes

China rescue: British diplomat Stephen Ellison saves drowning woman

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

China rescue: British diplomat Stephen Ellison saves drowning woman

huge news in China

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asi...20deep%20water.

chuckster007 likes this.

Good thing it wasn’t a Hong Kong student, or he might have been accused of barbaric foreign interference in China’s internal affairs. Maybe he might yet be.

Save one drowning student and you’re a hero, save a hundred...

all these people watching and doing nothing. I know people can get sued for helping someone but they need to change these rules it's pretty stupid.

I think many can’t swim , they did not teach that at school, not sure how it’s now

i remember a similar incident happened in Hong Kong, some 20 years ago in Wan Chai, iIRC.

a tram was on fire; everyone (except one person) escaped.

on lookers watched as the tram turned into inferno and the person was dying inside.

a gweiloo or gweipo rushed in and saved that person.

SCMP reported it..

angeluscomplex likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    I think many can’t swim , they did not teach that at school, not sure how it’s now
    That may be the case, I know that most of my wife's family either can't swim or didn't learn until well into their 30s

Even if they can't swim...

I remember seeing an accident here once, and people just stood pulling out their cameras. Not going to see if anyone needed help. Makes me really angry. And what's with the culture of letting reports onto the hospital area with ambulances delivering critical patients and take pictures getting in the fucking way.

Anyway, well done to the diplomat for his quick thinking and action.

Jillypots likes this.

People here will help for simple things like someone collapsing on the sidewalk. Anything that's more out of the ordinary probably takes a lot more thinking outside the box and initiative- I think that first aid training is pretty rare here.

But then again, I have seen similar in other countries- twenty or so people clustered cluelessly around someone with a fractured leg in wilderness situations for almost half an hour.

This should help UK - China relations! If they open up a travel bubble with China it might be the only place we can go for a holiday.....

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    People here will help for simple things like someone collapsing on the sidewalk. .
    I fell and broke my ankle a few years back. Most people just walked past. Eventually a security guard in a nearby estate called an ambulance.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast