Like Tree71Likes

Taiwan is a basket case ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    I'm not sure that this is a difference? When people thought the government in China was covering it up, there was a lot of criticism, internally and abroad.

Since then, for the most part, people in China have been very, very happy with how their country has handled the situation.
    Same as the people in Hong Kong. Just read all the newspapers - everyone is very happy with the government right?
    Gatts likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    Same as the people in Hong Kong. Just read all the newspapers - everyone is very happy with the government right?
    Some are, some are not - but I don't really see what Hong Kong's happiness has to do with Taiwan failing to procure sufficient vaccines (...even HK managed this, despite what people say about the competence of the govt here)

Some are, some are not - but I don't really see what Hong Kong's happiness has to do with Taiwan failing to procure sufficient vaccines (...even HK managed this, despite what people say about the competence of the govt here)
    I don't really see what Chinese people's "happiness" has to do with Taiwan either. But, you brought it up.
    William06 likes this.

Taiwan failing to procure sufficient vaccines (...even HK managed this, despite what people say about the competence of the govt here)
    You need a dose of reality:
    https://www.reuters.com/world/china/...ts-2021-05-26/

It sounds as though you are changing your tone?

Before you were convinced China blocked vaccines to Taiwan.

Now you are "concerned" that China "might have" blocked vaccines to Taiwan.

It won't be long before the whole meme is exposed for the China-hating garbage that it is.

It won't be long before the whole meme is exposed for the China-hating garbage that it is.
    A country of 1.4 billion people, who is as strong as they say they are, doesn't need to play victim

The article I posted was from February. It suggests Taiwan have been trying to buy Pfizer vaccines for a very long time.
    Gatts likes this.

There's definitely some hypocrisy in western reporting about China, but I'm curious, are you saying China did NOT block vaccine distribution to Taiwan? I believe this is pretty widely documented. China itself is pretty open about keeping Taiwan out of organizations so that any health decisions have to be made by Shanghai (if I remember correctly). Taiwan is part of China and all, right?

I guess my question is then, are you saying that this isn't true, or just that you don't like that it's true? Or that it's true but normal/good? Just clarifying.
    Gatts, drumbrake and TheBrit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy:
    I guess my question is then, are you saying that this isn't true, or just that you don't like that it's true? Or that it's true but normal/good? Just clarifying.
    I don't know if it is true, and I will withhold judgement until there is solid evidence either way.

But like many other China rumours (lab leaks, weaponised viruses etc...) I *strongly suspect* it is nonsense that certain credulous foreigners are slightly too quick to parrot.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast