Like Tree71Likes

Taiwan is a basket case ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    How does this contribute to the basket case scenario?
    There was a native population before the indigenous and then the Dutch ruled the Island

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    There was a native population before the indigenous and then the Dutch ruled the Island
    I guess the Dutch made gift baskets of some sort for the indigenous folks?
    Insomnia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Interesting article - you could have quoted this paragraph if you want to push the basket case narrative

More than 1,000 years ago, the Saisiyat killed what they believe to be the last village of Negritos in a battle over women - and the tribe still feels the guilt of their ancestors' action
    Here is a good podcast about fort Zeelandia - the Dutch to my understanding build the fort on Taiwan, but mostly left the indigenous population to themselves. Taiwan was just a trading base for them - similar to HK for the British.

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR...AAAAHQAAAAAQZg
    East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elefant&Castle:
    Interesting article - you could have quoted this paragraph if you want to push the basket case narrative

Here is a good podcast about fort Zeelandia - the Dutch to my understanding build the fort on Taiwan, but mostly left the indigenous population to themselves. Taiwan was just a trading base for them - similar to HK for the British.

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR...AAAAHQAAAAAQZg
    And the Qing dynasty

Jared Diamond referred to this in "Guns, Germs and Steel"

He talks about the migration of people across Asia and into the Pacific Islands. These people looked nothing like what you would think of as a modern Asian person. Taiwan was a jumping off point in their migration to Pacific islands/Australia. When I was in Taiwan once (this is going back 10+ years) there was an archeological dig going on the Eastern coast of the Island searching for evidence of these early inhabitants.

I'm surprised this is presented as new.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    I'm surprised this is presented as new.
    TLDR - Archeological finds confirms theory

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4680037

I managed to not even realise the existence of this thread until today.

Just read the first couple of pages, and some of the viewpoints really did not age well. The desperate wumaoism just leaps out of the screen waving a flag and blowing a trumpet.

ReleaseZeKraken likes this.

Small black people... migration to Pacific islands.. I think time period doesn't match (or unverified) but maybe same journey taken by the ones who eventually settled in northern sentinel island🤔

Elefant&Castle likes this.

[QUOTE=sarsi;3888266]Small black people... migration to Pacific islands.. I think time period doesn't match (or unverified) but maybe same journey taken by the ones who eventually settled in northern sentinel island

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5