Like Tree28Likes

Three child policy

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo_jones:
    Depends - if her family had sway in the party -> pay a fine (in Guangdong it was meant to be multiple of annual salary) and have more children. I suspect the fine was waived, or put as some fraction of average salary, etc. Depends on where the births were registered and how they got the residency permit. I suspect the usual bribery/family relations / party favours.

If you were in a poorer place, the local party folks would harass you, force some sterilisation on the mother, abort the baby (even late term), have some onerous fine, kick you out of public/subsidized housing, terminate your government job, etc.
    On the course I ran in China most of the students had several brothers and sisters. I remember one had four sisters and her friend had four brothers and I suggested matching them up. But then the students were the children of the extremely rich and famous.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    and you have to find it mind boggling that they still need to control it. why not just abolish the kids rules alltogether
    Its the nature of the CCP to need to control everything.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    and you have to find it mind boggling that they still need to control it. why not just abolish the kids rules alltogether
    That would allow some of the minority groups within China have too many children... Have to have one rule for all (most of the time)...

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    But then the students were the children of the extremely rich and famous.
    That didn't help Zhang Yimou (film maker) - he was fined $1.2M in 2014 for his 3 children. Of course that was with Xi having taken control.

Three Baby Policy, Twenty-three baby policy. Doesn't matter what the official line is. Too many societal factors against having any babies for many Chinese.

Quote Originally Posted by Elefant&Castle:
    That didn't help Zhang Yimou (film maker) - he was fined $1.2M in 2014 for his 3 children. Of course that was with Xi having taken control.
    As is always the case in China, if you are rich and powerful you can ignore the rules - until they decide you can't then you are in deep shit.
    Gatts and GentleGeorge like this.

The GM of my HK laboratory, he is from Shanghai and has 2 kids, when u have money the one child policy doesnt matter LOL

edit: his kids are of Uni age so this was back in the day.

I know of a country in which state legislators are essentially attempting the same though not capping the number at three...

My mum was born in China and she has 3 siblings so it was clearly not always enforced, I don't think that her parents were particularly affluent either.

Perhaps China is experiencing the same problem that SK. and Japan are: a severely low birthrate despite, in Japan's case, serious incentives for expecting couples.

Quote Originally Posted by Romeo_inblack_j:
    I know of a country in which state legislators are essentially attempting the same though not capping the number at three...
    Which country?