Like Tree9Likes

The 'elite' prosper in China's education system

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The 'elite' prosper in China's education system

China's education system rewards wealthy urbanites disproportionality and it is getting worse.

https://www.economist.com/china/2021...ir-to-the-poor

Shock, horror, who would have guessed.

Original Post Deleted
    Congratulations on achieving this new milestone in the rat race
    hike likes this.

So China joins the rest of the world where wealthy get more educational opportunities. Nothing to see here, move along...

hullexile and GentleGeorge like this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    China's education system rewards wealthy urbanites disproportionality and it is getting worse.

https://www.economist.com/china/2021...ir-to-the-poor
    Same as HK. Although unlike HK, the mainland still pretends the poor and disadvantaged can still make it. In HK, they don't even pretend social mobility is still the driving goal of education, passing mention of that notwithstanding.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 05-06-2021 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    So China joins the rest of the world where wealthy get more educational opportunities. Nothing to see here, move along...
    I'm sure failure to get poor, bright kids a good education is one of the early markers of a decaying civilisation

Of course, even decaying civilisations can stumble on for hundreds of years...

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    I'm sure failure to get poor, bright kids a good education is one of the early markers of a decaying civilisation
    Isn't it the lack of policy to reverse the trend that is the issue.

https://www.google.com/search?q=xi+j...4dUDCA4&uact=5

Of course, even decaying civilisations can stumble on for hundreds of years...
    How long since the last transition of power at the end of a gun?

Isn't it the lack of policy to reverse the trend that is the issue.
    The isn't a country in the world that doesn't agree with that.

The problem seems to me that as systems become mature and stable, policy systems that are meant to ensure social mobility become captured by the middle classes who know and game the system, and the whole cycle of decline begins again.

I'm sure Marx had something to say about it a century or two ago already.

The isn't a country in the world that doesn't agree with that.

The problem seems to me that as systems become mature and stable, policy systems that are meant to ensure social mobility become captured by the middle classes who know and game the system, and the whole cycle of decline begins again.

I'm sure Marx had something to say about it a century or two ago already.
    Again - Isn't it the lack of policy in China to reverse the trend that is the issue.

Education Policy seems to have a different focus at the moment.

Again - Isn't it the lack of policy in China to reverse the trend that is the issue.

Education Policy seems to have a different focus at the moment.
    China, in common with the rest of the world, has lots of policies to get bright country kids and ethnic minorities into education, such as discounts on the marks required by ethnic minorities to get into university (one of the 'loopholes' that many wealthy people try to exploit, incidentally).

Compared to 50, 100, 150, 200 years ago or any other time period, China is doing a fantastic job at educating a vast population, evidenced by the armies of graduates and the buzzing high tech industries growing at light speed across China.

Whether it is working at the very elite level of the top 2/5/10 universities is a great question, and I'm sure no-one in the Chinese policy community disagrees that more could/should be done to ensure equality of opportunity of access, but as always it is a question of competing priorities.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast