Like Tree26Likes

Didi didn't

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    Well it's just going to be a problem now isn't it? Pesky internet... international travel... giant tech corporations making billions... I guess the CCP will have to evolve to catch up with the 21st century... maybe...

How could this play out?

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Can someone spell it out for me? Why is China shooting itself in the foot?
    Sometimes the brain does not know where the arse is or what it is doing...

Or may be there is no arse at all and this is some sort of big-brain move.
    Elegiaque likes this.

So the CAC took action against Didi because it wasn't prepared to leak users Data to the Chinese Government?

One assumes the CCP doesn't want someone getting their money in the US, where it is outside their reach.

One also assumes some investors in DiDi are related to the Jiang Zemin clan, which was one of the reasons Ant's IPO was blocked.

Hang on?! Isn't this exactly what a lot of Americans and Europeans are asking for? For more regulation on tech companies, privacy laws and restrict the data they can store?

Are we now wishing for a CCP style governance?

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    Hang on?! Isn't this exactly what a lot of Americans and Europeans are asking for? For more regulation on tech companies, privacy laws and restrict the data they can store?

Do you honestly believe this is - really - about regulation?
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:

The underlying law may be OK and have some valid principles. But it's a law that came into effect on 1st June 2017, and China just happen to enforce it 4 years laters right after the company in question launches their IPO? So the way China haphazardly choose to enforce their laws is what is quite suspicious to me.

I remember back in 2017, as an IT guy, reviewing the new laws with our legal team and KPMG, and basically it affects network operators and critical information infrastructure, and how peoples personal information is stored, and how it has to be stored inside China and not on servers outside China, etc.

For example, companies like Microsoft offer their subscription services like Office 365 and Azure in China officially through Chinese providers like 21ViaNet which stores all the data in China, and not through Microsoft like the rest of the world. It's a pain in the ass for me because I have heaps of cloud servers in many regions around the world which I can manage all on portal.azure.com, except for the bloody Chinese servers which are over on portal.azure.cn. Its not just a simple URL change, I have to completely setup new resource groups, virtual networks, tinker around with our on premise firewalls to align with two completely different sets of Azure infrastructure, one for the whole world except China, and one for China only.
    tf19, alexdown, LifeInHK and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Can someone spell it out for me? Why is China shooting itself in the foot?

My guess its more of a tit for tat thing to generate bargaining power, etc etc. Also I think shooting US investors in the foot, as they could have done this before IPO. These kind of apps are dime a dozen in china (albeit they are not as proliferated) so they can in theory kill one and bring up a new Uber company the CCP way. I think you mean this will stifle them from entering into foreign market. But I think from the CCP perspective they would be more interested in foreign resources than market. They will be heading into the self reliant way after all the embargo and sanctions last few years
    Elegiaque likes this.

Original Post Deleted

I would sell all my shares in Chinese companies if I wasn't losing so much in them.