Like Tree55Likes

Beijing 2022 - Winter Olympics News

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I saw some footage of these guys practicing. Half looked a bit old. I think they'd lose 20-0 if they play against Jamaica and would likely be carried off the rink in stretchers if they play Russia, Canada or the US. In other words, where they're "really from" is a cover story to let them save face.

US announces diplomatic boycott:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/whi...human-n1285419

Beijing will not be thrilled by this. They will likely retaliate. The question is how will they respond?

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    US announces diplomatic boycott:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/whi...human-n1285419

Beijing will not be thrilled by this. They will likely retaliate. The question is how will they respond?
    If they were sensible they would just ignore it as it has zero impact. When I am watching the opening ceremony which government officials are present is not my main focus

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    If they were sensible they would just ignore it as it has zero impact. When I am watching the opening ceremony which government officials are present is not my main focus
    But what about the feelings if one billion Chinese?

Quote Originally Posted by mucaari:
    But what about the feelings if one billion Chinese?
    Just censor that news, what they don't know won't hurt them

Of course what they will do is make a big fuss about it, mountain out of a molehill.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Saw the response of the foreign office on Al Jazeera and he was basically saying, "Who cares?" as it doesn't impact any of the events (in terms of athletic competition, athletes who will attend, etc.). Hell, I didn't even know officials attended these things, other than country-level IOC officials...

BCD likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Saw the response of the foreign office on Al Jazeera and he was basically saying, "Who cares?" as it doesn't impact any of the events (in terms of athletic competition, athletes who will attend, etc.). Hell, I didn't even know officials attended these things, other than country-level IOC officials...
    Of course, publicly they will say who cares. They are not gonna say "this impacts us a lot." Face matters to Beijing.
    blandy62 likes this.

I think they went beyond that ...

“Without being invited, American politicians keep hyping the so-called diplomatic boycott of the Beijing Winter Olympics, which is purely wishful thinking and grandstanding,” Zhao told reporters at a daily briefing. “If the U.S. side is bent on going its own way, China will take firm countermeasures.”
    https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden...457d910a8f1ae8
    MABinPengChau likes this.

Guess I got the edited version soundbite on the TV news...

Whatever, it's a tempest in a teacup, no one cares, very little interest in the Olympics this year from what I can see...

blandy62 likes this.

Guess I got the edited version soundbite on the TV news...

Whatever, it's a tempest in a teacup, no one cares, very little interest in the Olympics this year from what I can see...
    Very little interest in the winter Olympics. Beijing winters can be very frigid, but usually its very dry and arid and there usually is very little snow, which melts away quickly. That kinda knocks the winter feel of the Olympics.
    MABinPengChau likes this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast