Like Tree30Likes

US-China Rivalry

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

The report said Congress should authorize and appropriate funds for Taiwan to purchase defense articles from the United States and finance the deployment of cruise and ballistic missiles and other munitions in the Indo-Pacific while increasing funding for surveillance.
    https://www.reuters.com/world/us/con...nt-2021-11-17/

Quote Originally Posted by mucaari:
    I do not think China and Russia are partners.
    Russia is the biggest arms supplier to India, arguably an enemy of China
    qhank likes this.

Apart from the tariffs applied a couple of years ago supposedly to counter unfair trade practices in what other way has the US changed any policy towards China?

Tandy likes this.

America talks a big talk but has done nothing substantial other than a few hostile tweets. Even the sanctions that went in over hk were mostly face-saving. It's imperative to US elite making a fortune in China to appear hostile while not biting the hand that feeds them. With public sentiment changing so much though it's unlikely this will continue forever, especially with the chances of a republican takeover on the horizon.

That said, it shows how little they understand Chinese culture and face. Doing nothing but making publicly embarrassing statements is pretty much the absolute worst foreign policy anyone could take towards China.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy:
    That said, it shows how little they understand Chinese culture and face. Doing nothing but making publicly embarrassing statements is pretty much the absolute worst foreign policy anyone could take towards China.
    Can you give some examples?
    Coolboy likes this.

I'm thinking specifically of any of the "US condemns..." tweets from the protests, but you could probably scroll down Blinken's twitter and pick anything about China. My point is the US condemning everything but doing nothing is a face saving policy for America as well. I think typical western politics is everyone yells at each other on camera and then buy each other beers once they're alone, but I think this style of politics translates very poorly to Asia.

Actually it's one of the things that's led to all the division in the west now too, so maybe it's just bad politics everywhere...

shri and qhank like this.

I think typical western politics is everyone yells at each other on camera and then buy each other beers once they're alone, but I think this style of politics translates very poorly to Asia.
    It is that stupid business is business.. It's not personal mindset...

Have several friends who claim they hate everything about the CCP etc yet continue to work and invest in institutions that are making their money from up north.. Because business is business. Without exceptions the loudest (in private) of them continue with that mindset.

Some have started their exits.. They are not the loud ones.. Quiet and planned exits.
    qhank, mrgoodkat and huja like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy:
    I'm thinking specifically of any of the "US condemns..." tweets from the protests, but you could probably scroll down Blinken's twitter and pick anything about China. My point is the US condemning everything but doing nothing is a face saving policy for America as well. I think typical western politics is everyone yells at each other on camera and then buy each other beers once they're alone, but I think this style of politics translates very poorly to Asia.

Actually it's one of the things that's led to all the division in the west now too, so maybe it's just bad politics everywhere...
    If you speak to some of the older democrats they would probably suggest this type of public confrontation / private deal making worked perfectly well in HK 15-20 years ago when Legco functioned as a deliberative chamber

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    If you speak to some of the older democrats they would probably suggest this type of public confrontation / private deal making worked perfectly well in HK 15-20 years ago when Legco functioned as a deliberative chamber
    Worked well for who is the question.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Until someone called their bluff and asked them to fuck off...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast