Like Tree98Likes

April 2022 - China Covid News

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Face matters more than anything in terms of Chinese politics. Right now, the CCP cannot afford to change the Zero Covid policy. To do so would mean they are wrong and they can't afford that lost of face. So even if some officials know the current policy is infeasible in controlling the omicron wave and extracting an ever higher cost on society, it doesn't matter. So long as the emperor say the zero Covid policy is the way to go, that will be the way no matter what.
    Or do you think social stability matters more than face? If you assume that what is leaking out of China is only a fraction of the reality, that's got to be getting to a tipping point? I'm sure there would be a way to explain a change in direction without losing face.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanieskis:
    Or do you think social stability matters more than face? If you assume that what is leaking out of China is only a fraction of the reality, that's got to be getting to a tipping point? I'm sure there would be a way to explain a change in direction without losing face.
    Well clearly we haven't reached the tipping point yet. For now, face still matters more. Don't underestimate the power of "Face".

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    Because the standard of Covid death in China is very high. See, you are Covid positive, your lung fails, you suffocate and die - cause of death will be lung failure, but not Covid.
    Isn't there a global standard for counting covid related deaths, i.e. that generally, a death within x days of testing positive is generally to be counted as covid related death if no other clear evidence such as car accident etc.? In your example, the lung failure should prima facie a consequence of covid and if they don't need to count such a fatality, then why are we talking numbers at all?
    That being said of course any number coming out of China does not make any sense anyhow.

Drones are flying around telling people to close their windows and stop singing/protesting from their balconies

https://twitter.com/aliceysu/status/...BUPvg5rawFFoXg

shri likes this.

qhank likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I suspected that is only the tip of the iceberg...

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    The restrictions have been a source of much debate, both at home and overseas. Even Mr. Xue’s blog post, which was widely shared on Chinese social media, drew polarizing reactions: Some readers expressed horror, others called it prime material for a comedy movie, and still others attacked Mr. Xue for returning to China at all, decrying it as a selfish decision that risked bringing the virus into the country.Mr. Xue, who was born in China and moved to the United States seven years ago, remains determinedly neutral.“I don’t blame anyone: no person, government, organization,” he said. “I can only blame myself, for having such bad luck.”
    He's a lawyer alright.

mrgoodkat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal:
    Things kicking off in Guangzhou?

Spotted on the Chinese Standard.
    yeah our GZ staff are locked down.

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast