Like Tree50Likes

Bank runs in China?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

It's really odd, I cannot properly load or view the next page of comments in this thread. All links and actions are dead.

[edit: so this page (page 3) works but the previous one (page 2) with the Twitter comments doesn't... some interference at news not wanted viewed?]

Sith likes this.

Name:  side-eye-dog.gif
Views: 368
Size:  674.9 KB

Are you seriously trying to say that they froze all activity because of a small amount of suspected illegal activity, or that everyone is involved in illegal activity?
    No, the police said they are investigating criminal gang making illegal transfers etc and freezing is to prevent money fraud/laundering so I was just bouncing off that and saying it is a possibility if the investigation hasn't figured out fully what's going on and which accounts are compromised, freezing the whole thing pending resolution is something they can do. There or here in HK.

Again- are you serious?
    I am very serious. I thought I saw news about the travel code being used a couple mths back affecting some depositors so it's not new news. But most of the news links (and comments) expressing concern and outrage are still from outside China. The main battalion is foreign again as always so my own response is muted that's all. But don't let my lack of enthusiasm be a wet blanket

Facepalm.

Noise to signal ratio is off the charts.

Gatts, TheBrit and aw451 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HSY:
    No, the police said they are investigating criminal gang making illegal transfers etc and freezing is to prevent money fraud/laundering so I was just bouncing off that and saying it is a possibility if the investigation hasn't figured out fully what's going on and which accounts are compromised, freezing the whole thing pending resolution is something they can do. There or here in HK.
    i don’t think freezing all accounts is a normal process there, in HK or anywhere else- not unless there is a serious problem with the banks underlying assets. It’s usually a very bad sign of something amiss with the bank, not the customers.
    aw451, jimbo_jones and Sage like this.

Name:  ezgif-2-dfcc462885.gif
Views: 306
Size:  19.3 KB

If only I can get ppl to react as strongly to the issue too and not only when I comment on the issue, we might have gotten somewhere in HK.

Somebody got it right?

Do not engage

jgl, TheBrit, shri and 3 others like this.

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/...ts-2022-07-12/

Seems like the issue will be resolved soon.
    jimbo_jones likes this.

That says a lot, that he thinks his view within China is commensurate with a “world view”. It may just be a bad translation, but we all know how filtered Chinese perspective is.
    Cheeky Kiwi likes this.