Like Tree223Likes

Pelosi and Taiwan

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

In my opinion, they can organize her visit in the close room, then post the video of the visit couple of days afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Elefant&Castle:
    Behold, my field of "fucks given," and it is barren...

US has stupid military recruiting videos as well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyXIIk8wvno

Quote Originally Posted by Grinnie Jax:
    In my opinion, they can organize her visit in the close room, then post the video of the visit couple of days afterwards.
    I suspect this is what will happen and China gets to say "fake news" and gets their win for local consumption.
    Grinnie Jax likes this.

Came into work, announced that Pelosi is REALLY coming today, OMG China!

Reaction from my (mostly) Taiwanese colleagues...crickets chirping...

Mrs. Jones and Sage like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinnie Jax:
    I doubt there's very much that happens behind closed doors in Taiwan that Beijing isn't aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    I asked my Chinese teacher this morning about Nancy Pelosi, she had to look up the trip. Apparently Taiwan has not been officially informed she is even coming, zero fucks given. Business as usual. And she is pretty politically tuned in...
    You do realise that Taiwan is deliberately remaining silent with minimal local press coverage because they are stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment. Not because zero fucks given, but they are simply paralyzed. Behind the scenes is a different story with preparations for a possible Chinese invasion, yesterday calling back all military officers from leave.

https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/n...3090e526bd0ab1

Come on Bro Xi

Your manhood is being threatened

Mrs. Jones and MABinPengChau like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    You do realise that Taiwan is deliberately remaining silent with minimal local press coverage because they are stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment. Not because zero fucks given, but they are simply paralyzed. Behind the scenes is a different story with preparations for a possible Chinese invasion, yesterday calling back all military officers from leave.

https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/n...3090e526bd0ab1
    Taiwan just wants to be low-key and maintain the status quo- so many, many polls have shown that. So they just roll with the punches. You grow weary of constant threats as during the Cold War with Russia. And that was the threat of mutually assured destruction, which is a greater threat than just being taken over by your neighbor. So, yes, they will make some show of being militarily ready because...yeah, that's what you do, heaven knows the US was good at that during the Cold War, even convinced me to join the fight against the Evil Empire. But the average "man on the street" absolutely zero fucks given. China invades, doesn't invade, there is nothing the average Taiwanese can do about it, they are totally tired of hearing this their entire life. Not to mention doing a short stint in the military...
    shri, hullexile, Sage and 1 others like this.

Hang Seng Index down >500 now, hope it is not too bad in the coming few days

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Taiwan just wants to be low-key and maintain the status quo- so many, many polls have shown that. So they just roll with the punches. You grow weary of constant threats as during the Cold War with Russia. And that was the threat of mutually assured destruction, which is a greater threat than just being taken over by your neighbor. So, yes, they will make some show of being militarily ready because...yeah, that's what you do, heaven knows the US was good at that during the Cold War, even convinced me to join the fight against the Evil Empire. But the average "man on the street" absolutely zero fucks given. China invades, doesn't invade, there is nothing the average Taiwanese can do about it, they are totally tired of hearing this their entire life. Not to mention doing a short stint in the military...
    So basically sounds like on the ground in Taiwan is same as on the ground in Ukraine before Russia attacked, no one believed there would really be an attack and was quite surprised when it happened. I guess is completely different situations and unlikely that history would repeat itself two times in one year, right? Still, do you have an escape plan ready? In Ukraine they rushed over the Polish border, but in Taiwan you would have to rely on air or sea evacuation but if China seized those ports you would be up shit creek and have to go hide in the mountains or something?

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast