Like Tree40Likes

August 2022 - China Covid News

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Do we have an idea of the real vaccination rates?
    38% fully vaccinated according to the below

https://asiatimes.com/2022/07/why-di...as-vaccinated/
    Beanieskis and hullexile like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanieskis:
    I don't think that any amount of economic woes or people getting fed up will make them shift course - that's a breeze compared to millions of deaths. The only controlled way out of it is by vaccinating, as Singapore did.
    Millions will die if they don't get their economy reopened too. The lack of growth, lower taxes on a lower GDP, less spending on healthcare etc. You need a strong economy to provide essential services and the more China gimps itself the worse the long run effects will be. Mental health will also be taking a knock, it's all adding up to a policy-led disaster that even the shitty Governments in the West have managed to avoid.
    Beanieskis and hullexile like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Millions will die if they don't get their economy reopened too. The lack of growth, lower taxes on a lower GDP, less spending on healthcare etc. You need a strong economy to provide essential services and the more China gimps itself the worse the long run effects will be. Mental health will also be taking a knock, it's all adding up to a policy-led disaster that even the shitty Governments in the West have managed to avoid.
    Totally agree, I think more will die in the long run, and certainly more life years will be lost as it's more likely to impact the young than the old. You won't see body bags piled high in a short space of time though.
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    38% fully vaccinated according to the below

https://asiatimes.com/2022/07/why-di...as-vaccinated/
    In case anyone doesn't read the article, it is 90% with two shots and 38% boosted. Puts China well ahead of the Philippines and I am sure many other countries. I don't think that is a reason for maintaining strict restrictions.

In case anyone doesn't read the article, it is 90% with two shots and 38% boosted. Puts China well ahead of the Philippines and I am sure many other countries. I don't think that is a reason for maintaining strict restrictions.

The article actually says this.

Almost 90% of China’s population has been fully vaccinated with Sinopharm and Sinovac jabs, but just 61% of over-80s have been fully vaccinated and only 38% have had a booster. That deficiency has no doubt driven China’s “zero Covid” policy, as authorities have sacrificed the economy in the name of public health through draconian lockdowns.
    shri likes this.

It's the over 80's that matter.

61% of over-80s have been fully vaccinated and only 38% have had a booster

I suspect the figure for the over 80's with a high risk co-morbidity is very very much lower.

Do we have an idea of the real vaccination rates?
    Do you mean rate of real vaccinations or the real rate of vaccinations?
    mrgoodkat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    The article actually says this.
    Which is why I started with "in case anyone doesn't read the article".

No clue who or what faction is behind this thinktank... but pretty brave of them.

The Anbound Research Center gave no details of possible changes but said on Monday that Xi Jinping’s government needed to focus on shoring up sinking growth. It noted the US, Europe and Japan were recovering economically after easing anti-disease curbs.

“Preventing the risk of economic stall should be the priority task,” the thinktank said in a report titled: It’s Time for China to Adjust Its Virus Control and Prevention Policies.

Even such mild public disagreement with official policy is almost unknown in a politically sensitive year when Xi, China’s most powerful leader since at least the 1980s, is expected to try to extend his time as president.

The report, dated Sunday, was posted on the Anbound Research Center’s accounts on the popular WeChat messaging platform and the Sina Weibo microblog service, but was deleted from both on Monday afternoon.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...o-covid-policy
    Cheeky Kiwi and Beanieskis like this.

Which is why I started with "in case anyone doesn't read the article".
    but you mis-quoted the statisctic presented.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast