Like Tree13Likes

Protests @ Foxconn's Apple Factory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    It's Foxconn plant, not an Apple plant. Apple has not really much say there. Circumstances seem also very muddy. People where promised.... I wonder if they read the fine print? Sounds like something is missing in this story.
    You're wrong! Apple surely has a strong say in how Foxconn manages their facilities producing their product. I can see this to be a huge PR disaster for Apple in western markets.
    Morrison likes this.

Usually, ppl don’t even know the names of the subcontractors for electronics in China unless they have worked in that industry

Fox , Con . Nomen est omen ?

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    Usually, ppl don’t even know the names of the subcontractors for electronics in China unless they have worked in that industry
    In this case, everyone who reads the news knows that Foxconn is the manufacturer of the iPhone. If not by name, then by association with headlines like "Workers making iPhone commit suicide".

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevil_666:
    In this case, everyone who reads the news knows that Foxconn is the manufacturer of the iPhone. If not by name, then by association with headlines like "Workers making iPhone commit suicide".
    That’s exactly what I mean.
    Foxconn is not the manufacturer of the iPhone but only one of several subcontractors.
    Besides, even if the name Foxconn sticks in the reader’s mind it’s probably not for long.

You're wrong! Apple surely has a strong say in how Foxconn manages their facilities producing their product.
    Just related to production. The rest they cover more or less with audits. More they can't do. And if there is no compliance not much Apple can do either, not too many suitable facilities out there.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/apples-...lation-ensues/

https://appleinsider.com/articles/12...ain_management

When Cook initially took over Apple's supply chain, he cut down the number of component suppliers from 100 to 24, forcing companies to compete for Apple's business. He also shut down 10 of the 19 Apple warehouses to limit overstocking, and by September of 1998 inventory was down from a month to only six days.
    Concentration and leveraging scale has been central to the CEO’s reputation. I don’t think anybody can or should take only upsides and not downsides to any decision, particularly when they have a long association.

That said, I agree the typical consumer may not necessarily link Foxconn to Apple as readily as the typical informed reader of news.

Your first link, Tim visit China, is from 2012

Morrison likes this.

You're wrong! Apple surely has a strong say in how Foxconn manages their facilities producing their product. I can see this to be a huge PR disaster for Apple in western markets.
    Apple has got through accusations of child labour, slave labour, suicides and more. I don't think some covid protests are going to make a dent.

Sadly, all the performative virtue signallers still want the latest phone model. Apple knows this and frankly doesn't care.

I really don't think this is an apple or foxconn issue to be honest. Our country needs to step up and protect our brothers and sisters just a bit more ... Empathically or parentally...

This is the same country where billion+ have their feelings hurt when a map is incorrect or an overseas website has an incorrect drop down form.

We need the signal corps to let us know when we should be outraged.. until then.. smile and wave.

aw451 likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast