Like Tree11Likes

Jiang Zemin Dies @ 96

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Jiang Zemin Dies @ 96

State media said he died just after noon on Wednesday.

One of the major figures of Chinese history in recent decades, he presided over a time where China opened up on a vast scale and saw high-speed growth.

His death comes as China sees some of its most serious protests since Tiananmen, with many demonstrating against Covid restrictions.

Jiang rose to power after the bloody 1989 crackdown on protestors in and around Beijing's Tiananmen Square, which led to China being ostracised internationally.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-63805991

I wonder what impact this will have on the current situation. Similar to death of Hu Yaobang in 1989?

Jiang was generally fondly regarded in China, particularly in Shanghai. More so than the current chap.

He was the chap who got led out of the recent congress? I hope it was natural causes.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    He was the chap who got led out of the recent congress? I hope it was natural causes.
    No. That was Hu Jintao.

This is his predecessor Jiang Zemin leader of the Shanghai clique (that was)
    shri and HK_Katherine like this.

Having a go at HK journalists

https://youtu.be/5GIj2BVJS2A

The world is big but not big enough anymore to gloss over details like "the west"..Everyone needs to be more specific with exactly who they hate..

I have nothing good to say abt China CCP PRC Chinese or the man in this context but I do agree with what he said abt media and their questions.. :x

I arrived in China toward the end of his term, but always had a soft spot for him (as soft a spot as one can gave for an autocratic leader). Seemed to have a decent sense of humour and I wasn't unhappy at his crack down on Falun Gong (although the tactics left a lot to be desired). I'm sure there was lots in his past that was very unsavoury, but as far as Chinese leaders and senior commies go, he was okay. His successor was a bit dull, and now we have the Emperor.

Skyhook likes this.

I was never able to unsee the resemblance

Name:  Screenshot 2022-11-30 at 7.49.08 AM.png
Views: 371
Size:  1.62 MB

I was living in Shanghai during his hey day. The locals were very happy that a "hometown guy" was in power - and why wouldn't they? The city exploded with glitz and commerce in those days.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    I was living in Shanghai during his hey day. The locals were very happy that a "hometown guy" was in power - and why wouldn't they? The city exploded with glitz and commerce in those days.
    HK did OK to under an opening up approach

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...gtype=homepage
    Skyhook likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast