Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By woodwood
  • 1 Post By woodwood
  • 1 Post By mrgoodkat

What drugs/medicine and other items are disallowed when entering China?

Hi. Is there a list of drugs/medicine that HKers are not allowed to bring into Shenzhen? I ask this because there were some arrests of people trying to get drugs/medicine into China lately:

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...gtype=homepage

I am wondering we are allowed to bring into Shenzhen and what we cannot bring in.

Hi. Is there a list of drugs/medicine that HKers are not allowed to bring into China? I ask this because there were some arrests of people trying to get drugs/medicine into China lately:

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...gtype=homepage

I am wondering we are allowed to bring into China and what we cannot bring in.

First of all, it is illegal to import or export drugs without a license, even something like cold medication. Just the title of the new story suggests that these were arrests for
    - illegal exporting of medicine
    - failing to declare a controlled substance
    - failing to declare in a manifest the goods for export

However, exceptions are made for reasonable amounts of medication for personal use.

Secondly, I believe covid drugs are not available in HK for the private market, but rather through the government only (either directly or through private doctors that sign up). It is prohibited to resell, distribute, etc such medication. I am not sure if this is a criminal offence or civil offence (the medication was given under a license for personal use), but regardless the first point remains valid.

There has been arrests for people selling Paracetamol online. This includes Chinese produced paracetamol which was imported to HK under emergency procedures for covid patients. Selling it to someone else is illegal as it is not a registered drug in HK.

To be clear, it isn’t sufficient that a drug is permitted in HK, the brand, dosage and type must be registered.

Last edited by woodwood; 14-01-2023 at 07:15 PM.
    orionx999 likes this.

AS FOR ENTERING the MAINLAND….

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A PRESCRIPTION OR THAT YOUR NAME IS PRINTED ON THE PACKAGING if you are bringing anything which is not basic over the counter stuff. EVEN IN LIMITED AMOUNTS.

Ask your private doctor to write a prescription or take a screenshot of the medication records in the HA GO app.

Do not bring generic drugs in generic bottles.

Best to have blister packs and even better in the original box with instructions

shri and orionx999 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by orionx999:
    Hi. Is there a list of drugs/medicine that HKers are not allowed to bring into China? I ask this because there were some arrests of people trying to get drugs/medicine into China lately:
    If you have a prescription and only enough of them to get you through your holiday, pretty much none.
    If you are bringing them for someone else, all of them.

It's also illegal to export drugs from HK without a license, but reasonable quantities in your personal luggage are exempt.
    orionx999 likes this.