Like Tree12Likes

China forces students enrolled in Western universities to get out of China immediately

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

China forces students enrolled in Western universities to get out of China immediately

On Sunday, China reversed a 2020 COVID related decision allowing recognition for degrees from foreign universities completed online. Now is a mass scramble for Chinese students to get out of China immediately and return to overseas campuses. In Australia, Universities are puzzled by the sudden announcement and scrambling to provide visas and accomodation for up to 40,000 Chinese students set to return, with the new academic year starting in just a few weeks.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...3d8ad847f7474e

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-01-...-ban/101906794

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...t-to-australia

They have given them some temporary buffer to get their visas and accomodation sorted.

Did read that the Aussies have processed a record number of visas/renewals over the 4-6 weeks in anticipation of the inbound surge.

Seems like another good idea damaged by bad implementation

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Yeah Australia is not complaining about the decision. Just a mad rush now to get everyone who wants to study here back in time for semester 1 which starts in a few weeks. A severe rental shortage everywhere in Aus now is not going to help.
    hullexile, Mrs. Jones and spode like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Did read that the Aussies have processed a record number of visas/renewals over the 4-6 weeks in anticipation of the inbound surge.
    Over the last 4-6 weeks since China opened up there has been a natural surge in demand as some Chinese have been wanting to come back to study and Aus has been struggling to keep up.

But now, just in the last 2 days, China has banned online study, which is forcing EVERYONE (not just those that proactively wanted to) to head overseas now or render their degrees useless. There are 40,000 Chinese that have valid Australian student visa's who are not currently in Australia, completing their degrees from back home in China, who now must suddenly get on a plane to Australia in the next 2 weeks if they want to continue their degree.

I think on Sunday night China pulled back a bit, saying they would give some exemptions to students who could demonstrate difficulty in getting flights/accomodation sorted in time.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Over the last 4-6 weeks since China opened up there has been a natural surge in demand as some Chinese have been wanting to come back to study and Aus has been struggling to keep up.

But now, just in the last 2 days, China has banned online study, which is forcing EVERYONE (not just those that proactively wanted to) to head overseas now or render their degrees useless. There are 40,000 Chinese that have valid Australian student visa's who are not currently in Australia, completing their degrees from back home in China, who now must suddenly get on a plane to Australia in the next 2 weeks if they want to continue their degree.

I think on Sunday night China pulled back a bit, saying they would give some exemptions to students who could demonstrate difficulty in getting flights/accomodation sorted in time.
    I wonder his much flight prices will go up by?
    BCD likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:

There is actually plenty of property, the problem is Airbnb, those properties need to be taxed hard enough to make Short term rental very financially unattractive.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Half agree here... I'm not sure I can see the 'good idea' part?

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    Half agree here... I'm not sure I can see the 'good idea' part?
    Certainly good for the Australian economy and face to face is better than online especially if they can get foreign experience at the same time.

Andy SNK likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast