Like Tree21Likes

Apple, Foxconn and China...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Was not on my list of billionaires who would want to run for elections...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ncy-china-ties
    Did it in 2019 also - from Reuters:

Gou, 72, stepped down as Foxconn chief in 2019 and made his first presidential bid that year, but dropped out after he failed to win the nomination for Taiwan's main opposition party, the Kuomintang KMT.
    Deluding himself - letting him and others build factories in China was in China's interest - not something that happened because he is a golden dealmaker.
    shri likes this.

At a news conference in Taipei, Gou introduced the veteran actress, author and singer Lai as his running mate. She played a presidential candidate in the hit Taiwanese Netflix show “Wave Makers” earlier this year. At the end of the show, she wins the election.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2023/09/14/foxc...ning-mate.html

Apple, Foxconn and China...

Looks like one more investigation is starting in China.

The latest company to come under scrutiny is Foxconn of Taiwan. Chinese state media outlets reported on Sunday that the company was facing investigations in four provinces.

Foxconn, one of the world’s largest manufacturers of electronics, is Apple’s main contractor for the production of everything from iPhones to MacBook laptop computers.

Global Times, a nationalistic tabloid and website owned by the Communist Party of China, said that Foxconn faced tax inspections in Guangdong and Jiangsu Provinces and was being investigated in Henan and Hubei Provinces to determine whether it had complied with land use regulations.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/22/b...stigation.html

I think a number of Apple suppliers are in the HSI ....
    newhkpr likes this.

When I was in China it was generally accepted the CCP drew a line at harassment of multi-nationals. Officials obviously wanted to tilt the field to favor Chinese companies - many headed by people with close ties to the CCP - but not so much as to scare them off because big multi-nationals provided jobs, tech/management knowhow, and international good will. It was a parasitic relationship that required the host (multi-nations) to be alive and in reasonable health.

The game has changed. It's no longer a parasitic relationship. It's hunter and prey .

hullexile likes this.

Pessimist hat on again.

I have the horrible feeling China is slowly imploding. Why is that horrible? More important than the impact on the global economy is my belief that the CCP will not go quietly but desire to show their strength by lashing out at Taiwan or elsewhere.

It all ended with a big bang .. ...

HK_Katherine and north2 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Pessimist hat on again.

I have the horrible feeling China is slowly imploding.

That's usually how it ends . . . slowly then all at once.

Pessimist hat on again.

I have the horrible feeling China is slowly imploding. Why is that horrible? More important than the impact on the global economy is my belief that the CCP will not go quietly but desire to show their strength by lashing out at Taiwan or elsewhere.

In Chinese “bang” means to help.
    So someone will come and save the country, big time.
    hullexile likes this.

Pessimist hat on again..

Oh i thought it all started out with a big bang
    Morrison likes this.

Pessimist hat on again.

I totally agree. This is exactly the risk. I watched a Chinese film on my plane yesterday (with subtitles) - it was basically "Chinese Top Gun" all about the top pilots ... but what was fascinating was watching it all from a Chinese perspective and seeing how easy it would be to brainwash the young military to attacking anything they deemed as "theirs".
    newhkpr and north2 like this.

Pessimist hat on again.

Quite a few example of that in history.
    newhkpr and hullexile like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast