Taiwan, Dalai Lama, China

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Victoria, Hong Kong
    Posts
    833

    A sovereign state should act like a sovereign state, nuff said.


  2. #12

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    15,557
    Quote Originally Posted by Azuremain:
    A sovereign state should act like a sovereign state, nuff said.
    What is that supposed to even mean??

    Oh prize quote from China Daily today:

    "Local media said the Dalai Lama has few believers in south Taiwan because most residents are Christian or believers of Mastu, the Goddess of the Sea"

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Fo Tan
    Posts
    2,389

    Wonder how far back this sets relations between the two countries? Or, for the PRC-minded, between the one country and the renegade, non-sovereign outpost in the ocean.


  4. #14

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth:
    Wonder how far back this sets relations between the two countries? Or, for the PRC-minded, between the one country and the renegade, non-sovereign outpost in the ocean.

    Doubt it will affect too much - Ma managed to repair damaged feelings within six months after relations hit rock bottom (and digging) during the 8 years of DPP reign...
    From what I've read in the papers China seems to be saying that the Dalai Lama is trying to rouse more separatist sentiment [in Taiwan], rather than Taiwan harboring separatist movement Dalai Lama...which is a subtle, but rather significant difference.
    I just hope that his presence will bring comfort to the victims of the tragedy and not just political farce...

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Fo Tan
    Posts
    2,389

    I can see that difference as being huge in the eyes of Beijing, almost an ackowledgment that Ma is being forced to do something he would not otherwise have done. So everything is "okay".
    So far it seems to be all political farce.


  6. #16

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,076

    I think Ma should have approved the visit immediately, to avoid giving the impression he needs to get "permission" from Beijing.


  7. #17

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Fo Tan
    Posts
    2,389
    Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    I think Ma should have approved the visit immediately, to avoid giving the impression he needs to get "permission" from Beijing.
    Except he has to get permission from Beijing. Although "permission" is too strong a word.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by ray98:
    The Mainland Chinese government sent shedloads of aid
    Shedloads of aid which certain counties in Taiwan were wary of.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth:
    Except he has to get permission from Beijing. Although "permission" is too strong a word.
    No, he doesn't -- Taiwan is a sovereign government, as someone else remarked -- and it does him no good to behave as if he needs approval. The Dalai Lama has visited Taiwan several times before, to the anger of Beijing, and the only authority which has the decision on this is Taipei.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Victoria, Hong Kong
    Posts
    833
    Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    What is that supposed to even mean??

    Oh prize quote from China Daily today:

    "Local media said the Dalai Lama has few believers in south Taiwan because most residents are Christian or believers of Mastu, the Goddess of the Sea"
    Okay, for you in commoners lingo:

    You ask your neighbour if you can invite somebody to your house