Like Tree31Likes

Is hiring a domestic helper in Hong Kong for under 4000HKD modern day slavery?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    Oh, I see, other people are poorly paid too, guess it's okay then!
    Poor is relative, just because it doesn't seem like much money to YOU, it doesn't mean it isn't a good wage to them and obviously it is or they wouldn't leave their families and friends to move here would they? Comparing it to Slavery is almost an insult to them, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't think of themselves as slaves......

The whole topic of abuse is something different altogether but your original question is more in reference to the wage not the working conditions and when you consider they SHOULD get free boarding, food, flights home etc it isn't bad compared to your 'average' local like Skyhook mentioned.

Well maybe you should get a maid and pay her 8k then if you are so generous, put your money where your mouth is ! OR don't get a maid at all and do what most do - raise your own kids and clean your own toilet !

FYI - I don't have a maid and can't imagine ever having one, the idea of a FT stranger in my house puts me off alone.
    Last edited by London2HK; 03-12-2010 at 05:28 PM.
    Skyhook and jimbob70 like this.

Oh, so because they are paid even less in the Phillipines, we're actually doing them a favour, hmm.
    if anything blame the PH/Indo gvt and companies for not being able to supply job and pay to their citizens.
    Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    I don't remember reading horror stories via the western expat community of maltreatment of FDH's, in the context of this being an EXPAT forum ? Who are these expats that are maltreating FDH's ? Do name and shame them, please.....
    They may not be horror stories but I certainly see poor treatment of FDH every single day at the club from both Expat and Chinese... I also know of many who simply do as most of the people do and not allow their employee to go out at night and to be back early on their day off.

The attitude of thinking that the FDH are so lucky to have a job here and the often snotty and snobby behaviours of those with money is hardly restricted to the chinese community...

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    I certainly see poor treatment of FDH every single day at the club from both Expat and Chinese
    Which "club" would that be?

Oh, so because they are paid even less in the Phillipines, we're actually doing them a favour, hmm.
    That is not what I meant and it is quite funny you should think I would given me having been described as a Chinese hating Filipino loving racist. Looking at salaries in terms of western standards can have the insane impact of factories paying above the odds being closed down because of western do-gooders campaigns over "slave labour". I know hundreds of DHs and I have never heard one complain about what they are paid with the exception of those paid below the minimum. The ones who are treated well do not consider themselves slaves. Surely it is what the people themselves think that matter or are we to impose our own views on them? Of course they would like more, wouldn't we all, but it is not the BIG issue. That is how they are treated as Howard has correctly said.

Original Post Deleted
    Seriously Brit ... nice job on taking a post and twisting it around. All Skyhook did was ask for examples...

Everyone mistreats everybody else ... I've seen bankers abuse their interns. I've seen professionals abuse their IT guys who just happened to be body shopped, I've seen expats abuse the Chinese sales person or taxi driver...

Would be nice to see ONE thread about domestic helpers which did not deteriorate into name calling and a racial war.
    Skyhook and pushiv like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Seriously Brit ... nice job on taking a post and twisting it around. All Skyhook did was ask for examples...

Everyone mistreats everybody else ... I've seen bankers abuse their interns. I've seen professionals abuse their IT guys who just happened to be body shopped, I've seen expats abuse the Chinese sales person or taxi driver...

Would be nice to see ONE thread about domestic helpers which did not deteriorate into name calling and a racial war.
    Dream on Shri....

I have a dream.... yes, I do.

Quote Originally Posted by bak875:
    I gotta say I do enjoy reading Howard Coombs posts
    Me too. Saves me a lot of typing!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Ironically, my relative's DH had her own DH in the Philippines looking after her own child??? So that's like slavery squared

Wonder if i can tell my boss I'm going to outsource myself

Last edited by jimbob70; 03-12-2010 at 07:07 PM.