Like Tree110Likes

Hong Kong Maids Win Challenge to Ban on Permanent Residency

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

I see a very simple solution. They will just make the helpers go home for a month or so and renew their contracts from abroad at least once every 7 years. Then they are not continually resident for 7 years and cannot get PR.

bryant.english likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    Nope! I know two people who are here from the Phillipines, one is an architect and one works in IT for Cathay, both will be eligible for PR after 7 years just like anyone else from anywhere else who has a skill that is in demand here.

I don't care if you'r pink, red, green, white or whatever, to get PR you must either be a family member, an asylum seeker or have something to offer that locals can't do.

My brother for example is white with fair hair and speaks fluent English but he has no qualifications and no chance of coming here to work, let alone get PR. Helpers are already given an advantage by being permitted to come here to work in the first place and you can rest assured that if this policy goes ahead then many many people will suddenly be here as 'helpers' just to get PR....please think harder people!
    Well now your brother could become a helper, clean toilets and look after the brats for seven years and get his PR. What is stopping him?
    luckycat, dear giant, neha and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I find it funny that a foreigner in Hong Kong would be complaining about other foreigners coming into Hong Kong, i.e. it's ok for me but not for you. Because you are superior in some way?
    Just to add, this foreigner is on a dependency visa, if I was not married to a local I probably wouldn't be eligible for PR either, so what....that's the way the cookie crumbles.

I've said it before, you can't have it both ways. Either make it the same for everyone, ie, helpers have to fit the same criteria as everyone else and have to be paid the statutory minimum wage. This would mean hat nobody would hire them over a local.

Well now your brother could become a helper, clean toilets and look after the brats for seven years and get his PR. What is stopping him?
    Hull, if you don't think there are many, many people who wouldn't sign up for this you're an idiot.

How long until enterprising people are getting 'helpers' to pay them for doing paperwork and then not really doing the job - it's so obvious it almost makes me want to slap my forehead that people can't see how insane this is.

Just to add, this foreigner is on a dependency visa, if I was not married to a local I probably wouldn't be eligible for PR either, so what....that's the way the cookie crumbles.

I've said it before, you can't have it both ways. Either make it the same for everyone, ie, helpers have to fit the same criteria as everyone else and have to be paid the statutory minimum wage. This would mean hat nobody would hire them over a local.
    Then there would be no FDHs and no problem. Why are you against it then?
    dear giant likes this.

My helper, Harni, is studying IT and English so that she can eventually apply for a work visa in her own right....I plan to support her in any way that I can....that is the correct way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    I see a very simple solution. They will just make the helpers go home for a month or so and renew their contracts from abroad at least once every 7 years. Then they are not continually resident for 7 years and cannot get PR.
    They already do that. It's called home leave. It doesn't affect your place of residency.

Then there would be no FDHs and no problem. Why are you against it then?
    Hull, this debate happened a month or so ago and I said then that I don't care either way. It should either stay as it is or the playing field should be completely levelled, I'm happy either way.

If people come here on dependent visas fine.
    If people come here as bonafide asylum seekers fine.
    If people come here with a skill that can't be met by the local workforce fine.
    If those people are from the moon, Timbuktu, Phillipines, or even France, fine!

If anyone comes here on a visa allowing them to work, even though they do not meet the above criteria on the proviso that they will be unable to get PR then that is called a choice.

Hull, if you don't think there are many, many people who wouldn't sign up for this you're an idiot.

How long until enterprising people are getting 'helpers' to pay them for doing paperwork and then not really doing the job - it's so obvious it almost makes me want to slap my forehead that people can't see how insane this is.
    If they are that desperate they can pay HK$30,000 to marry a local and get PR after 7 years. Many already do that.

Canada gives helpers citizenship (not PR) after 3 years. The Philippines and Indonesia are empty as everyone has moved there.
    dear giant likes this.

...you can rest assured that if this policy goes ahead then many many people will suddenly be here as 'helpers' just to get PR....please think harder people!
    And that would be a bad thing...why?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast