Paternity Leave

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

but you just said that it should be up to the individual companies....

Indeed it should - and the individual company would then choose whichever course is cheaper for them: pay the maternity leave or pay to train a replacement or pay for a temp, or whatever.

Last edited by PDLM; 13-10-2011 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Indeed it should - and the individual company would then choose whichever course is cheaper for them: pay the maternity leave or pay to train a replacement or pay for a temp, or whatever.
    I thought we were talking about a 2-3 days paternity leave - not matrrnity leave.....

providing 2 days of paternity leave wont affect ur taxes that much i would think and it wont require a replacement in a vast majority of cases (before u come back w one of ur usual examples...)
    Last edited by Mat; 13-10-2011 at 01:10 PM.

Oh, OK if we're talking about a couple of days then it's no big deal. I thought we were talking about something a bit more substantial along the lines of schemes they have in Scandinavia. In Sweden, for example, couples can share a total of 480 days of paid maternity/paternity leave at any point in the first 8 years of the child's life as they wish (more or less).

Last edited by PDLM; 13-10-2011 at 01:22 PM.

I think the gvt proposal is a few days (up to a week max) - from what I read in the standard (not the best I know).

If it were more than I would agree with you (ie the swedish example you gave) but I think a few days won't kill the tax bill or the companies and can ba a "nice" thing to do for the few male employees turn fathers.