• Politicians should be religious and tell us how it guides them

0 0%
  • Politicians should be religious in private but not public life

2 25.00%
  • Politicians are only 'religious' to get votes in some countries

0 0%
  • Politicians shouldn’t be devoutly religious

0 0%
  • Politicians shouldn’t be religious (or I shouldn’t know about it)

6 75.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Like Tree36Likes

Why do politicians not always seperate religion and the state

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    the US of A are a democracy. Yet whomever you elect has to swear on the bible.

How is this for separating religion and politics?
    You have posited that twice in this thread - and it has been patently false both times. There is no such requirement and, in fact, not all presidents have used a bible when taking the Oath of office.
    Last edited by beachball; 31-10-2011 at 10:07 AM.

Original Post Deleted
    It is only the public business if their religious views alter their rational decisions making whilst carrying out public tasks. If they go to Church, sing a little followed by a nice cup of tea a few times a year then does that affect their choices?

Quote Originally Posted by beachball:
    You have posited that twice in this thread - and it has been patently false both times. There is no such requirement and, in fact, not all presidents have used a bible when taking the Oath of office.
    Regardless of wether there is a requirement or not to do it or whether not all US president did it, why on earth is there a need to do it at all?

Regardless of wether there is a requirement or not to do it or whether not all US president did it, why on earth is there a need to do it at all?
    There is no such need.

would have thought some of those pesky amendments banned it? weren't they trying to separate religion and the state?

Quote Originally Posted by beachball:
    There is no such need.
    Again,that there is no requirement and no need, does not elimintate the fact that they do it....

and as such totally mix politics and religion.

i think this one explains what quite a few want to forget - ( they will rewrite history one day like they rewrote the bible )

MovingIn07 likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    No - not sweet but what should be normal.

Having leaders issuing a religious war statements (such as GW's) does not show separation of church and state.

Point 1 - you are wrong
    !........................................

Anyway...all I'm saying is that if you are religious then this must play a part in everything you do, your decision making, your behaviour.

Obviously I have stated that I am a Christian but I'm no bible basher and I only infrequently attend church. I just believe this is a fact and surely it's better for the politician to be open about his beliefs? Imagine if a politician had hidden his religion during his term, everyone would be accusing him of hiding/dishonesty; everyone from the atheists to his own church....

As a Christian, a believer in God, I believe that atheists are somehow hollow and easily led into corruption in the same way an atheist might say I've abandoned rational thought. I would prefer a liberal Christian leader over any other and I believe the majority of people in the west would agree with me...

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    !........................................

Anyway...all I'm saying is that if you are religious then this must play a part in everything you do, your decision making, your behaviour.

Obviously I have stated that I am a Christian but I'm no bible basher and I only infrequently attend church. I just believe this is a fact and surely it's better for the politician to be open about his beliefs? Imagine if a politician had hidden his religion during his term, everyone would be accusing him of hiding/dishonesty; everyone from the atheists to his own church....

As a Christian, a believer in God, I believe that atheists are somehow hollow and easily led into corruption in the same way an atheist might say I've abandoned rational thought. I would prefer a liberal Christian leader over any other and I believe the majority of people in the west would agree with me...
    I am catholic - from a catholic family - got baptisted, communion and attended church about twice a month until I was about 14 years old. I still go once in a while when back in Europe with my folks.

That does not stop me from saying that religion is something personal that should be kept private.

I am not saying one should hide his faith, I am only saying one should NOT use his faith to get elected (not the case of Tsang obviously but the case of many other politicians).
    Last edited by Mat; 31-10-2011 at 10:57 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast