Like Tree42Likes

The big issues facing HK - ignored or unknown

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Not if they buy and hold it empty for years and years.
    i thought ur issue was the fact that they speculate short term....

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    i thought ur issue was the fact that they speculate short term....
    No - more the one way bet due to restrictive land policies.

Although I appreciate many people associate speculation with short term activities. The constant general upward trend will have to end at some point. Better a managed transition away from being hooked on land sales.
    Last edited by East_coast; 09-01-2012 at 08:28 AM.
    dear giant likes this.

No - more the one way bet due to restrictive land policies.

Although I appreciate many people associate speculation with short term activities. The constant general upward trend will have to end at some point. Better a managed transition away from being hooked on land sales.
    one way bet? have u talked to people who bought in 97?

I do not associate speculation and short term, you did in a previous post.
    Last edited by Mat; 09-01-2012 at 08:32 AM.

Discourage
    Investment - No
    Speculation - Yes
    What is the difference?

Original Post Deleted
    Those might your definitions, but it is not necessarily how the terms are used in economics and finance...

As an aside, compared to many other potential investments available at the moment, the rental yield on Hong Kong is actually quite attractive.
    Last edited by beachball; 09-01-2012 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    one way bet? have u talked to people who bought in 97?

I do not associate speculation and short term, you did in a previous post.
    'empty for say 6months' statement was more about getting capital to work for society. 6, 12, 18 months or what ever figure would stop people buying and holding for longer periods not shorter ones. A flat next to one I let out has been empty for 10+ years that doesn't seem a very good use of capital (unless property overall is a one way bet - exceptions such as '97 & '11 of course)
    dear giant likes this.

'empty for say 6months' statement was more about getting capital to work for society. 6, 12, 18 months or what ever figure would stop people buying and holding for longer periods not shorter ones. A flat next to one I let out has been empty for 10+ years that doesn't seem a very good use of capital (unless property overall is a one way bet - exceptions such as '97 & '11 of course)
    2 exceptions in a 14 years span...that does not really look like exception to me....

Truth is that in the last 14 years there has been lots (yes lots) of up and down. So it's not a one way bet, far from it.

The problem is not that it is going up or down, the problem is that the swing in prices is always too extreme, that's the problem.

It seems this is the BIGGEST issue facing HK today:

Get the picture? - The Standard

Same as slugging a capital gains tax of 20% if you sell it under 5 years will be easier to manage than determining what is empty or not.

I could have an empty apartment for 6 months then come for a few days. Making it used or occupied.

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    Wow talk about reading what you want... First, nothing gets accomplished by writing little rants on a forum so I wouldn't call it doing something. Second, what I pointed out is that solutions are not simple and often at the expense of something else. If anyone has brilliant and constructive ideas then great, put them forward, do something about it otherwise simply pissing on the government for not doing enough and claiming they are stupid and in the pocket of developers is infantile and brings nothing constructive to the table.

As to the HK government trying to convince everyone they are doing a good job well that's nothing new in politics. Everyone does that...it's up to every individual to get involved behind what they believe and try to make changes if only by voting for the people that represent your values best.

Personally, I don't believe that the government should tinker too much with the property market, I like the measures that have been taken, I also like the idea of bringing back HOS. I don't see as very constructive bringing in extra taxes or measures against foreign investors. As for pollution, that's certainly an area where the government can do a lot more and in my opinion are failing miserably by dumping much of the responsibility up north instead of taking more aggressive measures in reducing power consumption, reducing vehicles on the road and ensuring vehicles are cleaner.

You're one to talk about pollution with your little car fetish...instead of pissing on the government about pollution, you might want to look at yourself in the mirror and see what YOU are doing to make things better besides whining...
    Hehehe, I assured you, I only write rants at people who deserved to be ranted at .

What is really infantile is you again and again trying to dictate what can be said here by dismissing all other suggestions as infantile. You ain't the moderator here, buddy .

And if you really think hard about it, the whole land system in Hong Kong is structured such that the government and the developers are bound to overlap in their interest.

Voting for the people that represents your interest best? Sorry to break this to you, but we don't get that choice in terms of the CE. But the developers and business elite do get a outsized voice through the functional constituencies.

Sure, we can all stop pissing on the government, once we get a vote on who becomes the next CE. Until we get a say on that, you bet your arse I'll piss on it. And why don't we throw away all our freedoms of speech and check and balance for that matter? At this rate, we'll be no different to the mainland pretty soon, comrade gilles.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 09-01-2012 at 10:31 AM.