Like Tree155Likes

Mainland Chinese Televsion: Hongkonger are dogs

Closed Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Demographics of Hong Kong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

just going to leave this interesting link here! all these "hong kong locals" are not as local as they want to think...

99% of HK people come from the mainland, they have no history of living in HK they only have a history of living somewhere in the mainland..

Demographics of Hong Kong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chinese make up 95% of the population with the other groups floating at around 5%.[12] The national census does not break down people of European descent into separate categories, nor are Chinese ethnic subgroups separated in the statistics. However, the majority of Hong Kongers of Chinese descent trace their ancestry to various parts of Southern China: the Guangzhou area, followed by Sze Yap (a region of four counties neighboring Guangzhou), Chaoshan (a region of North Guangdong home to Teochew speakers), Fujian and Shanghai.[13] Some Hong Kongers also originate from Hakka-speaking villages in the New Territories.[14] Most Teochew-speaking migrants immigrated to Hong Kong from the late 1940s to the early 1970s, while migrants from Fujian province (previously Min Nan speakers, and increasingly more Min Zhong and Min Bei speakers) have constituted a large-growing number of migrants since 1978.[15]

This is Hong Kong after all. We take anyone's money. Well almost.

At the time when Hong Kong was colonised by Great Britain, the colony first covered only Hong Kong Island, with a population of only around 6 000, most of whom were fishermen. Other than the indigenous population on Hong Kong Island, Kowloon and New Territories who had lived in the area before the British arrived, most people in Hong Kong either immigrated from somewhere in mainland China, or were descendants of those immigrants.
    The largest influx of population from the mainland was during the Taiping Rebellion (late 19th century) and the Chinese Civil War (1945–1949). The British colonial government maintained a touch-base policy until the early 1980s, allowing people from Mainland China to apply to be Hong Kong residents if they manage to arrive in the territory.
    Many of these early immigrants, especially those who moved from Shanghai in the 1940s and early 1950s to escape the Communist government, came to dominate the business world in Hong Kong. In the 1980s and 1990s, Shanghai-born immigrants also occupied prominent roles in the government, including former Chief Executive Tung Chee Hwa and former Chief Secretary Anson Chan.
    After decades of wars, internal conflicts and the Cultural Revolution, there was a large gap in the level of development between Hong Kong and the mainland. Many new immigrants arriving in the late 1970s and early 1980s were thought to be less sophisticated, and preserved many habits from the rural way of lives. A TV series starring Liu Wai Hung (廖偉雄) reflected the life of a new immigrant in Hong Kong. Nonetheless, new immigrants of this time were believed to be hardworking and optimistic, and were welcome by people in Hong Kong.
    Starting from the early 1990s many new immigrants to Hong Kong are the spouses of Hong Kong males, and their children. Many of them are not rich, and some have to rely on money from Comprehensive Social Security Assistance to survive. Although only a few do so, new immigrants of this time were held in a negative view.

from wikipedia.. there is no such thing as local Hong Kong all are immigrants from the mainland... most as recent as 30 - 40 years ago.. all this is lot of bullshit... people should not forgot who they are and where they come from

similar to the post above, much of the anger comes from the fact that they are reminded this is who they are. they may queue for taxis and pretend no HK-ers eat on the train, but at the end of the day they are all from the same stock. go back to dear giants analogy of two people standing in a muddy puddle - the only difference is one of them has managed to pull one foot out.

dear giant likes this.

Looking down on others is a bit of an inferiority complex in some people. In order for me to feel better I need to see others as somehow lesser than me. It is sad but does happen and is worse in many parts of the world than others.

HKers with a long history of working hard and entrepreneurship have much to be proud of- and they are. Some cracks are starting to show here - gap in rich and poor - opportunities for their youth as the world economy struggles, etc.

They know that many of their families before them have come from China legally and illegally. They take pride in that their women - so they say - work hard even if poor and tend not to be the prostitutes. They are proud too that that there are not that many local beggars or bad things (peeing, etc.) done in the streets like they see in the mainland. When someone does dumb things they blame it as the person is from the mainland.

Many fear travel to China due to the dangers they faced and the stories. This is changing as the perception of risk in going to China has fallen a bit whereas before the risks were seen as not worth it.

I don't see much in my local friends about caring about politics and mainlanders too seem more concerned with corrupt local business issues than the national government and politics.

They are proud to be HKers and distinct from other places including China where many still see China in the most simplistic ways - of course there are great things in HK that are not present in China yet.

Canada - has those with views that are silly about the East - mostly Toronto is hated if you are from Vancouver.

UK - many Scots (in Canada FFS) hate England so they say. The Irish too hate England.

I am not from the UK but look at the lyrics of The Flower of Scotland - it sure seems to be pointed at England even now. Is there not a desire of Scotland to be independent from the UK?
    Isn't this a song about now about kicking England's ass - back in the day.

Listen to the cheers and the words.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAFteAPf3qo

This post makes the point that ignorance reigns supreme everywhere in the world:

look at all of the supporters celtic, rangers, hearts and hibs fans all united together no bigotry no racism. If we really want to remove bigotry from scotland we need to channel our hatred towards the english
    I am not trying to change the discussion from HK and PRC but just to illustrate that this is not just some sort of issue peculiar to HK and China - but world wide.

HK like Taiwan and Macau people know they are Chinese but they don't want to lose what they have in their distinct societies.
    Last edited by Football16; 21-01-2012 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HKEXPO:
    from wikipedia.. there is no such thing as local Hong Kong all are immigrants from the mainland... most as recent as 30 - 40 years ago.. all this is lot of bullshit... people should not forgot who they are and where they come from
    With this logic there are no indigenous people anywhere. There are no Americans since that's all England anyway right? Ask a lot of people in Europe for that matter, and you'll find lots of people's ancestry comes from all over the place!
    dear giant likes this.

[QUOTE=Gatts;1852969]With this logic there are no indigenous people anywhere. There are no Americans since that's all England anyway right?/QUOTE]

Erm, what?? I don't think I've EVER heard anyone say this before

Last edited by Satay Sue; 21-01-2012 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Quote thing went wrong
    Gatts likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shenwen:
    similar to the post above, much of the anger comes from the fact that they are reminded this is who they are. they may queue for taxis and pretend no HK-ers eat on the train, but at the end of the day they are all from the same stock. go back to dear giants analogy of two people standing in a muddy puddle - the only difference is one of them has managed to pull one foot out.
    I should add, not trying to be derogatory - we are all in the mud to some extent
    dear giant likes this.

The awkward moment when you insist someone is your girlfriend and she laughs in your face.

Kind of like how China insist that Taiwan is still a part of China. HK may be under China's rule, but I think locals here will still call themselves HKers before they call themselves Chinese.

Also...there are native Americans. They are called Aboriginals or First Nations

dear giant likes this.

[QUOTE=Satay Sue;1852973]

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    With this logic there are no indigenous people anywhere. There are no Americans since that's all England anyway right?/QUOTE]

Erm, what?? I don't think I've EVER heard anyone say this before
    Oh the Iranians do. They refer to the UK as the mother country.