Like Tree86Likes

Those darn mainlanders are at it again!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Honestly, if a mainlander or anyone else for that matter rudely refused to move their luggage to let a pregnant lady sit down after being politely asked to do so, it would be tempting to send that luggage out the window to meet Hong Kong's flora and fauna.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using GeoClicks Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    With such bad service on the mainland I understand why mainlanders push and shove to get things.

Not all mainlanders are unpleasant. Remember that everybody.
    Of course. The educated mainlanders (those with college degrees) in general are quite well-behaved and reasonably pleasant. Unfortunately, those are still in the minority, and given the sheer population of China, the vast majority are relatively uneducated peasants. They were never taught how to behave in public nor do they have much of a notion of public decency. Thus when they come to Hong Kong with their standard behaviour, it will often rub Hong Kongers the wrong way. The other problem is that "rich asshole" mainlanders whose core value is that money means I can do whatever I want.

The good news is that with increasing urbanization (urban population now reaching just over 50% of total Chinese population) and gradual improvement in education, the country bumpkin image of mainlanders should slowly decrease. The problem is that this rate of decrease is too slow to ease the tension between Hkers and Mainlanders.
    dear giant likes this.

Why is that mainlanders remind me of Roseanne? Take a bunch of country hicks and give them lots of money. Noveau-riche, ugh, dahling, pass the perrier would you.

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    The other problem is that "rich asshole" CITIZENS OF ANY NATION, whose core value is that money means I can do whatever I want.
    Ain't just the Mainlanders guilty of the "Wealth = Above the Law" mentality . . .
    MovingIn07 and bookblogger like this.

My recent trip to Macau had one experience. On approaching the entrance to the "Boarding Gate" on the way back, we were confronted by a massive scrum of people, about 15 people across and 20 deep. These were the people waiting to go through to the waiting area. Everyone, without exception, was pushing, snarling and shoving. I can't believe they were ALL mainlanders....? We stood back but were urged by someone in the "stand-by" queue to get into the scrum to secure our seat! It was quite scary for our son, as he was bumped and jostled quite viciously at times.

Edit: that was a genuine question, surely not everyone in the melee was a Mainlander?

Last edited by Satay Sue; 03-02-2012 at 04:54 PM.
    dear giant and MovingIn07 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    Of course. The educated mainlanders (those with college degrees) in general are quite well-behaved and reasonably pleasant. Unfortunately, those are still in the minority, and given the sheer population of China, the vast majority are relatively uneducated peasants. They were never taught how to behave in public nor do they have much of a notion of public decency. Thus when they come to Hong Kong with their standard behaviour, it will often rub Hong Kongers the wrong way. The other problem is that "rich asshole" mainlanders whose core value is that money means I can do whatever I want.

The good news is that with increasing urbanization (urban population now reaching just over 50% of total Chinese population) and gradual improvement in education, the country bumpkin image of mainlanders should slowly decrease. The problem is that this rate of decrease is too slow to ease the tension between Hkers and Mainlanders.
    Its just another generalisation of the chinese population and topical so the media pounce on it.

Lets just close the border already.

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    Its just another generalisation of the chinese population and topical so the media pounce on it.
    Generalizations has basis in some truths, like it or not. Hkers attitude towards mainlanders did not just spring out of nothing. To simply say something is a generalisation is to ignore the root of the problem, the cultural clash between Hong Kongers and Mainlanders. I have yet to hear any constructive solution to this problem.

I mean all we are hearing from the gov is this: "Hong Kongers should not discriminate against mainlanders". Well duh, Einstein. The gov does not stop to consider the causes of such discrimination. They simply look at it as a two-dimensional problem and tries to plead for understanding among Hkers. Are you telling me such naive approach will work? You have to tackle why such discrimination exists in the first place: failed government policies.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 03-02-2012 at 05:21 PM.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    My recent trip to Macau had one experience. On approaching the entrance to the "Boarding Gate" on the way back, we were confronted by a massive scrum of people, about 15 people across and 20 deep. These were the people waiting to go through to the waiting area. Everyone, without exception, was pushing, snarling and shoving. I can't believe they were ALL mainlanders....? We stood back but were urged by someone in the "stand-by" queue to get into the scrum to secure our seat! It was quite scary for our son, as he was bumped and jostled quite viciously at times.

Edit: that was a genuine question, surely not everyone in the melee was a Mainlander?
    Nah, I was there too
    Satay Sue likes this.

Actually reminds me our first tram experience, as Asia newbie travellers way back in 1996: Mr SS and I were at the tram stop at where we classed the "front of the queue" to be. Tram arrived and out of nowhere it seemed, dozens of people at shoulder height and below (I'm 165cm, they were waist height to Mr SS) swarmed around us and passed us onto the tram, leaving us literally spinning on our feet on the pavement! Luckily we'd just got here and just fell about laughing. The next tram had us in "fighting position" and we were on! Mainlanders? I don't think so

dear giant and Leonasun like this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast