Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By virago

Transport complaints - only 3% traffic conditions

Closed Thread

Transport complaints - only 3% traffic conditions

Transport complaints fall
    February 24, 2012
    The Transport Complaints Unit received 4,689 complaints and suggestions in the fourth quarter of 2011. Seventy-six were pure suggestions.

The total cases represented a decrease of 10.7% on the previous quarter, but an increase of 3.2% year on year.

The complaints and suggestions received mostly related to public transport services (85%), enforcement matters (10%) and traffic conditions (3%).

The unit received 18,882 complaints and suggestions last year, with 378 being pure suggestions. This represented an increase of 7.1% compared with 17,624 cases in 2010.

Given that there appears to be a positive policy towards more congestion it is surprising that only 3% of complaints were against traffic conditions.

A very small percentage of people actually complain, and I would argue that these people usually have little better to do. Therefore these statics are skewed and I doubt this would be really good gauge for public opinion.

Satay Sue likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    [I]Transport complaints fall

Given that there appears to be a positive policy towards more congestion it is surprising that only 3% of complaints were against traffic conditions.
    Having lived and driven in many different major cities in the world, I believe the reason is simple:

Bar a few hotspots and downtown during rushour, Hong Kong remains relatively uncongested.

Londo is many times worse. Even at it's worst, the Central Harbour Tunnel, (which is often said to be the most congested bit of road in the world), takes 25 minutes to get through.....try that at any of the major M25 intersections near London.

I remember when I lived in a village just outside of High Wycombe, the 5 mile journey to work could take 45 minutes between 730 and 900 - That's congestion!

Further, if you choose to live, drive and work in either of the 'ants nests' then why should you complain? I can tell you this, there is no congestion where I live?

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    Having lived and driven in many different major cities in the world, I believe the reason is simple:

Bar a few hotspots and downtown during rushour, Hong Kong remains relatively uncongested.

Londo is many times worse. Even at it's worst, the Central Harbour Tunnel, (which is often said to be the most congested bit of road in the world), takes 25 minutes to get through.....try that at any of the major M25 intersections near London.

I remember when I lived in a village just outside of High Wycombe, the 5 mile journey to work could take 45 minutes between 730 and 900 - That's congestion!

Further, if you choose to live, drive and work in either of the 'ants nests' then why should you complain? I can tell you this, there is no congestion where I live?
    Unfortunatley congestion is a major cause of pollution. If people complained about congestion then roadside pollution would be much better.

There is no doubt that many of the newer express roads in HK have bags of capacity but there appears no desire by the TD to manage congestion blackspots. So poor commuters in buses have to sit and wait for all the cars.
    Last edited by East_coast; 26-02-2012 at 09:24 PM.

there is no congestion in HK for a city of 7 Million on such a small land. So indeed few ppl can complain.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Unfortunatley congestion is a major cause of pollution. If people complained about congestion then roadside pollution would be much better.

There is no doubt that many of the newer express roads in HK have bags of capacity but there appears no desire by the TD to manage congestion blackspots. So poor commuters in buses have to sit and wait for all the cars.
    No, people in cars have to wait for all the slow, massive, black smoke belching buses. Go to the centre of any big towns as well as HK and it's the buses constant stop-starting that cause all the delays. I'd love to see some proper studies done on this, actually some people in London agree.........big hulking buses which take up a whole lane constantly stopping and moving slowly causing bottleneck after bottleneck......

I live in a village called Nim Wan and teach in Chi Lok.

To drive to Chi Lok takes about 10 minutes and costs 7HKD each way.

To catch the mini-bus costs 6HKD each way and takes about 25 minutes all-in.

Once I'm out of the village I am on Castle Peak Road which is mostly two lanes all the way to Chi Lok.....there are only two things that ever slow this journey down for me: buses and taxis....if it wasn't for buses and taxis I could do this trip in 5 minutes!

When I make this trip in the morning, I have my son with me, sometimes my wife as well. If they caught the bus, they would increase demand for public transport and waste a lot of money and contribute more to congestion on Castle Peak Road.

I believe that congestion on Castle Peak Road could be eased and a lot of money save by scrapping buses altogether and enforcing a two person per car minimum policy.

@DeletedUser - you call it what you want. I have stated the actual facts of my situation. Just because most will disagree does not mean I'm trolling....

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    No, people in cars have to wait for all the slow, massive, black smoke belching buses. Go to the centre of any big towns as well as HK and it's the buses constant stop-starting that cause all the delays. I'd love to see some proper studies done on this, actually some people in London agree.........big hulking buses which take up a whole lane constantly stopping and moving slowly causing bottleneck after bottleneck......
    interesting theory - when you dig out some research papers showing that buses reduce reduce road carrying capacity in urban environments I will happily discuss.

Until then it just looks like you think you should travel faster than poor people who have to use a bus.

For a break down of road side pollution generation - look at http://gia.info.gov.hk/general/20110...0124_80254.pdf
    Last edited by East_coast; 26-02-2012 at 11:56 PM.