Like Tree302Likes

Roaming gangs of Mainlanders stealing children from Hong Kong shopping malls

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 38 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Roaming gangs of Mainlanders stealing children from Hong Kong shopping malls

Ok, I scoffed hard when I was told the story about a 'friend of a friend'. It seems there is always a tale about a kid being kidnapped from Ikea/Disney/Walmart etc, so much so that Snopes.com even has urban legend pages about them.

But I got wind from the "mommy circles" recently that worried whispers are going around about 'mainlanders' roaming some shopping malls in Hong Kong grabbing kids. I took it with a grain of salt and got home to do some digging, finding only this blog post on the matter (I'm gathering there is more in the Chinese-media but I'm not very good at searching through that):

Rumours of Children Abduction by Mainland Chinese Heighten in Hong Kong

Kind of wondering if the current HK-Mainlander tension is spilling over into some tales, or if the cultural differences (i.e. hugging a random kid) is shocking a few people. Or maybe there are gangs out there unto no good?

So anyone else hearing these rumors? I'm a bit skeptical to say the least.

Last edited by penguinsix; 11-03-2012 at 03:00 PM.
    dear giant likes this.

All teachers were alerted at my kindergarten on Friday, supposedly 1 in Tuen Mun and 1 in TST. Nothing in the news of course......

yes, it was in the news... the chinese news. it was in hubby's paper last week. there were even photos of the supposed people involved. it took up an entire page in the chinese paper. sorry, though, i can't remember which paper it was in.

dear giant likes this.

Ah the usual bullshit going round then.

Oh a mainlander talked to my child they must be doing something bad because they're mainlanders etc etc.

Then you get Chinese whispers etc etc.

Sigh

Football16 likes this.

Wouldn't it be easier to abduct kids in PRC than in HK of all places.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using GeoClicks Mobile

Football16 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    yes, it was in the news... the chinese news. it was in hubby's paper last week. there were even photos of the supposed people involved. it took up an entire page in the chinese paper. sorry, though, i can't remember which paper it was in.
    Lol, I should know better! I often joke about how I lived in a wonderful crime free idyll in southern Sweden......then, one day, my Swedish was good enough to read the papers, race wars, murders, robberies
    tantrum and bamboo budge like this.

It's in the news here on the mainland though they were mainly talking about buying/selling of children. It's quite big here with 10's of thousands bought and sold every year. Alot of the kids are now coming across from Vietnam, Laos and Burma into China.

dear giant likes this.

you can think it's complete non-sense all you like.

a few years ago, hubby, the kids and i were at snoopyworld in shatin @ the very busy playground. when my two kids ran into the playground, my husband overheard two women discussing how much they thought they could get for our young son. conversation was conducted in chinese. may have been tongue in cheek, i don't know. all i know is that hubby quickly got the two kids and i and we left immediately.

kittyctc and bamboo budge like this.

I also heard rumours about drunken Brits and Aussies running around naked every year during the HK Sevens and "kidnapping" rugby balls and wearing panty hoses on their heads . Surely, that is not "true"....

virago likes this.

dear giant likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 38 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast