Like Tree38Likes

Has Tang lost it?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BryanL:
    Does CY Leung have an English name?
    I don't think so. At least not one that he would be willing to answer to today.

I've heard from in-laws that, around the time of the Handover, CYL advocated the renaming of streets and public buildings with English names -- giving them patriotic Chinese names instead.

He is not a soft and fuzzy Westernized Hong Konger.

With all the news about CY coming out - sending in the riot police against protestors - maybe the dumb and corrupt HT is the better option.

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    One must admit though, that 6 months ago it was Henry and only Henry who could get the job.
    So said the media and some people on this forum, yet it was just as true as when they said that no one else but Hillary could get nominated in 2008. Yes, its a lousy comparison as HK's CE is decided upon by a few people in Beijing only. But there is certainly more than one faction within the politburo, and even if there was only one - who says they actually give a damn which establishment figure becomes CE? If they actually had been adamant about Henry, CY would still be exco convenor. Guy is not stupid or deluded enough to run against the expressed wishes of Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    With all the news about CY coming out - sending in the riot police against protestors - maybe the dumb and corrupt HT is the better option.
    I'd agree, except it isn't hard news -- it's an accusation with no evidence.

Nevertheless the only result I'll be happy with on Sunday is a preponderance of blank votes and a date set for a new election with new candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by er2:
    So said the media and some people on this forum, yet it was just as true as when they said that no one else but Hillary could get nominated in 2008. Yes, its a lousy comparison as HK's CE is decided upon by a few people in Beijing only. g.
    Thanks, you said it, not me

In a cinema near you, soon: Free Radicals Concept Trailer - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    Great article on Tang's basement and house next door.

Two houses, one rating
    Probably the most interesting thing here is this:-

Policy note: holding the properties through offshore companies allowed the couple to legally avoid stamp duty on the transfers of half-interests in the houses. As we've said before, stamp duty should be abolished, partly because it is a tax that the wealthy can avoid anyway through corporate structuring, as long as the transferee trusts the transferor to guarantee that there are no hidden liabilities in the property-owning company. Perhaps, given that Henry Tang has shown how to avoid stamp duty, he will see the wisdom of abolishing it if he becomes CE.
    Watercooler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    I certainly do not buy anything you write on here
    And vice versa .

tang really is the master of foot in mouth

commie

tear gas

against free speech

he practically secured leung's candidancy in beijing. now they know he ticks all the boxes. like a mini Li Peng

Watercooler likes this.

CY Leung is a lovely chap just what we need. I saw him on foot at the flower market choosing and buying flowers amongst the plebs. He had such passion and zest, sniffing each bloom carefully for scent, squishing it to make sure it was fresh and then inspecting for length of stem. Laying each one aside gently that met his high standards for quality.

We cant help that Henry Tang is a spent bloom, the golden boy who was promised the job but came unstuck on a very messy private life, its not just room for booze in his illegal wine cellar but illegitimate children too that need hiding. That just sticks in throat doesn't it, I mean imagine pretending your own flesh and blood doesn't exist!

In this time of Peoples Springs the people for the first time are being listened too something which poor withered Henry didn't reckon on.

I saw him too but in the lift of Festival Walk shopping mall, dressed in his best casuals looking very smug in the company of two chatty young woman, this gay abandon was of course before the election process. I wonder why he wasn't more careful? Does he honestly think Hong Kong is a custard tart waiting to be divided up amongst himself and his greedy property tycoon friends, no resistance at all?

And now Beijing has OK'd Albert Ho, goodness me the lame duck candidate the one Henry was too proud to even consider insulting, this must be causing much salivating in furry, not too soon either.

The most appalling thing of all is that Henry Tang didn't even reckon on a modicum of democracy even within this small circle election.

Well done Beijing for toying so brilliantly with the expectations of Hong Kong's rich ruling classes, lets hope it has lasting consequences and this monopoly and power of a few tycoons is abolished for ever.

bookblogger, elle and virago like this.